Mar 25, 2012, 10:10 PM EST
With all due respect to Daniel Sedin and Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby might be well on his way to securing a second consecutive Art Ross Trophy if he didn’t miss significant portions of the last two seasons due to concussions. That’s certainly the impression you’re left with after seeing Crosby add another goal and assist on Sunday to give him 25 points in a mere 15 games. His efforts helped the Penguins bounce back from a nasty 8-4 loss on Saturday and earn a 5-2 victory over the New Jersey Devils.
Pittsburgh had four other players finish the game with two points each, including Malkin, Pascal Dupuis, Chris Kunitz, and Jordan Staal. Now that they’re at close to full strength, the Penguins’ ability to make opposing defenses and goaltenders look silly will be a primary point of concern for any team that faces them in the first round.
Pittsburgh has suffered just two losses in March and is the third team in the NHL to reach the 100 point mark. This victory puts them just one point shy of the New York Rangers as the two squads battle for first place in the Eastern Conference.
On the New Jersey Devils’ side, Zach Parise scored his 30th goal of the season and has now reached that mark in five of his last six campaigns. The exception was 2010-11 when he was limited to just 13 games. Parise is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this summer and will be one of the most sought after players if he decides to test the market.
For now though, he’ll be focused on trying to help the Devils extend their campaign for as long as possible. With Sunday’s loss, New Jersey is likely to finish the season in sixth place, but that’s not necessarily a terrible thing. The third seed is currently projected to go to the Florida Panthers, who have an inferior record to the Devils. Playing Florida might be preferable to playing a team like the Rangers, Penguins, or Flyers as the fifth seed.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)