Mar 25, 2012, 10:10 PM EDT
With all due respect to Daniel Sedin and Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby might be well on his way to securing a second consecutive Art Ross Trophy if he didn’t miss significant portions of the last two seasons due to concussions. That’s certainly the impression you’re left with after seeing Crosby add another goal and assist on Sunday to give him 25 points in a mere 15 games. His efforts helped the Penguins bounce back from a nasty 8-4 loss on Saturday and earn a 5-2 victory over the New Jersey Devils.
Pittsburgh had four other players finish the game with two points each, including Malkin, Pascal Dupuis, Chris Kunitz, and Jordan Staal. Now that they’re at close to full strength, the Penguins’ ability to make opposing defenses and goaltenders look silly will be a primary point of concern for any team that faces them in the first round.
Pittsburgh has suffered just two losses in March and is the third team in the NHL to reach the 100 point mark. This victory puts them just one point shy of the New York Rangers as the two squads battle for first place in the Eastern Conference.
On the New Jersey Devils’ side, Zach Parise scored his 30th goal of the season and has now reached that mark in five of his last six campaigns. The exception was 2010-11 when he was limited to just 13 games. Parise is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this summer and will be one of the most sought after players if he decides to test the market.
For now though, he’ll be focused on trying to help the Devils extend their campaign for as long as possible. With Sunday’s loss, New Jersey is likely to finish the season in sixth place, but that’s not necessarily a terrible thing. The third seed is currently projected to go to the Florida Panthers, who have an inferior record to the Devils. Playing Florida might be preferable to playing a team like the Rangers, Penguins, or Flyers as the fifth seed.
Oct 26, 2014, 12:54 AM EDT
Jumping around a busy Saturday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Was it a dirty hit?
Oct 25, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist didn’t star, but grabbed an assist.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
Seems like a broken record, right?
Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Maybe the headline should read goaltending optional instead?
Oct 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Dougie Hamilton’s had a strong night.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Challenging night for Tampa Bay.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
Things didn’t look particularly “right” on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Oct 25, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Habs face Chris Kreider, David Backes vs. Brent Seabrook on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Yikes on so many levels.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist plays in Nashville as a visitor for the first time.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
The 21-year-old was recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
The rookie defensmen were recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
A rematch of last spring’s playoff series.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Suffered a skate cut to his right eyelid Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Antti Raanta and Brian Elliott go head-to-head as the Blackhawks and Blues battle in St. Louis.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The coach was quick to call home following Wednesday’s practice.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The Habs’ starter was injured in Game 1 of last spring’s Eastern Conference final against New York.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)