Mar 25, 2012, 10:10 PM EST
With all due respect to Daniel Sedin and Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby might be well on his way to securing a second consecutive Art Ross Trophy if he didn’t miss significant portions of the last two seasons due to concussions. That’s certainly the impression you’re left with after seeing Crosby add another goal and assist on Sunday to give him 25 points in a mere 15 games. His efforts helped the Penguins bounce back from a nasty 8-4 loss on Saturday and earn a 5-2 victory over the New Jersey Devils.
Pittsburgh had four other players finish the game with two points each, including Malkin, Pascal Dupuis, Chris Kunitz, and Jordan Staal. Now that they’re at close to full strength, the Penguins’ ability to make opposing defenses and goaltenders look silly will be a primary point of concern for any team that faces them in the first round.
Pittsburgh has suffered just two losses in March and is the third team in the NHL to reach the 100 point mark. This victory puts them just one point shy of the New York Rangers as the two squads battle for first place in the Eastern Conference.
On the New Jersey Devils’ side, Zach Parise scored his 30th goal of the season and has now reached that mark in five of his last six campaigns. The exception was 2010-11 when he was limited to just 13 games. Parise is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent this summer and will be one of the most sought after players if he decides to test the market.
For now though, he’ll be focused on trying to help the Devils extend their campaign for as long as possible. With Sunday’s loss, New Jersey is likely to finish the season in sixth place, but that’s not necessarily a terrible thing. The third seed is currently projected to go to the Florida Panthers, who have an inferior record to the Devils. Playing Florida might be preferable to playing a team like the Rangers, Penguins, or Flyers as the fifth seed.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:35 AM EST
He’ll likely start Tuesday paired with Dan Hamhuis.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Latvia could soon have another NHLer to cheer for.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
The Isles have won both meetings this season.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
He’s missed 13 games recovering from surgery on his fractured left wrist.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Several players had to make alternate arrangements leaving the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Expected to play Wednesday against the Leafs
Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
He’s a repeat offender.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Teams have till noon eastern time Tuesday to place a claim on the forward.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 PM EST
Minnesota had three healthy goaltenders on its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Who will play this week?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST
This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Will Mikhail Grabovski step up?
Jan 26, 2015, 3:12 PM EST
The post-All-Star Game portion of the season isn’t starting any better for Buffalo.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:21 PM EST
He’s been overseeing co-coaches Adam Oates and Scott Stevens.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
He didn’t end up playing in the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 PM EST
Remember, the club opted not to amnesty his contract last June.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:23 PM EST
Canucks will give Frank Corrado a chance to show what he can do.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Columbus’ star center is having a nice little run at the moment.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
They also summoned Josh Anderson.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)