Mar 25, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
We’ve all been amazed at what Teemu Selanne has done over his career and during this season. After all, when you’re 41-years-old you shouldn’t be leading your team in scoring. You definitely shouldn’t be doing that when there’s a former MVP (Corey Perry) and a host of other young talent there.
For Orange County Register columnist Jeff Miller, he doesn’t see how Selanne can call it a career after a brilliant season, but Selanne says it all depends on how he feels.
But, before our conversation, I was certain — fairly certain — this would be his final season. Put it this way: I would have been willing to bet your paycheck on it.
Though he committed to nothing Saturday, in doing so — or not doing so, technically — he convinced me he will return.
“There’s more inside me that wants to play than retire,” Selanne admitted. “But it’s got to be 100 percent when I make the decision.”
With 62 points, Selanne is five better than Perry. He’s third on the team in goals with 23 and he’s still playing nearly 18 minutes a game. At 41!
The one hang-up here for Selanne has to be how the Ducks are built to compete. The last thing you want to do at 42-years-old is spend another season on a team that isn’t going to be a playoff threat. That said, doubting Selanne’s drive has been a mistake for anyone to do over the years.
A “one more year” chant at the Ducks’ final home game this season wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (89)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)