Mar 25, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
We’ve all been amazed at what Teemu Selanne has done over his career and during this season. After all, when you’re 41-years-old you shouldn’t be leading your team in scoring. You definitely shouldn’t be doing that when there’s a former MVP (Corey Perry) and a host of other young talent there.
For Orange County Register columnist Jeff Miller, he doesn’t see how Selanne can call it a career after a brilliant season, but Selanne says it all depends on how he feels.
But, before our conversation, I was certain — fairly certain — this would be his final season. Put it this way: I would have been willing to bet your paycheck on it.
Though he committed to nothing Saturday, in doing so — or not doing so, technically — he convinced me he will return.
“There’s more inside me that wants to play than retire,” Selanne admitted. “But it’s got to be 100 percent when I make the decision.”
With 62 points, Selanne is five better than Perry. He’s third on the team in goals with 23 and he’s still playing nearly 18 minutes a game. At 41!
The one hang-up here for Selanne has to be how the Ducks are built to compete. The last thing you want to do at 42-years-old is spend another season on a team that isn’t going to be a playoff threat. That said, doubting Selanne’s drive has been a mistake for anyone to do over the years.
A “one more year” chant at the Ducks’ final home game this season wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)