Mar 25, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
We’ve all been amazed at what Teemu Selanne has done over his career and during this season. After all, when you’re 41-years-old you shouldn’t be leading your team in scoring. You definitely shouldn’t be doing that when there’s a former MVP (Corey Perry) and a host of other young talent there.
For Orange County Register columnist Jeff Miller, he doesn’t see how Selanne can call it a career after a brilliant season, but Selanne says it all depends on how he feels.
But, before our conversation, I was certain — fairly certain — this would be his final season. Put it this way: I would have been willing to bet your paycheck on it.
Though he committed to nothing Saturday, in doing so — or not doing so, technically — he convinced me he will return.
“There’s more inside me that wants to play than retire,” Selanne admitted. “But it’s got to be 100 percent when I make the decision.”
With 62 points, Selanne is five better than Perry. He’s third on the team in goals with 23 and he’s still playing nearly 18 minutes a game. At 41!
The one hang-up here for Selanne has to be how the Ducks are built to compete. The last thing you want to do at 42-years-old is spend another season on a team that isn’t going to be a playoff threat. That said, doubting Selanne’s drive has been a mistake for anyone to do over the years.
A “one more year” chant at the Ducks’ final home game this season wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 55
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal