Mar 25, 2012, 11:04 AM EST
We’ve all been amazed at what Teemu Selanne has done over his career and during this season. After all, when you’re 41-years-old you shouldn’t be leading your team in scoring. You definitely shouldn’t be doing that when there’s a former MVP (Corey Perry) and a host of other young talent there.
For Orange County Register columnist Jeff Miller, he doesn’t see how Selanne can call it a career after a brilliant season, but Selanne says it all depends on how he feels.
But, before our conversation, I was certain — fairly certain — this would be his final season. Put it this way: I would have been willing to bet your paycheck on it.
Though he committed to nothing Saturday, in doing so — or not doing so, technically — he convinced me he will return.
“There’s more inside me that wants to play than retire,” Selanne admitted. “But it’s got to be 100 percent when I make the decision.”
With 62 points, Selanne is five better than Perry. He’s third on the team in goals with 23 and he’s still playing nearly 18 minutes a game. At 41!
The one hang-up here for Selanne has to be how the Ducks are built to compete. The last thing you want to do at 42-years-old is spend another season on a team that isn’t going to be a playoff threat. That said, doubting Selanne’s drive has been a mistake for anyone to do over the years.
A “one more year” chant at the Ducks’ final home game this season wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)