Mar 24, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
In case you didn’t notice last night, the Eastern Conference just got a lot more interesting.
While the Capitals pooping the bed against Winnipeg with Buffalo beating the Rangers earned all the attention surrounding the eighth spot, the Ottawa Senators have come crashing to earth and have put the seventh spot in question as well. Check out the standings as of today.
The Senators only up by two points on both Washington and Buffalo with Winnipeg laying in the weeds? Things just got a lot more interesting. Of course, the Eastern picture isn’t the only one that could get dicey.
Mike Harrington at The Buffalo News is getting wistful at the thought of the Northeast Division crown becoming available and the Buffalo Sabres being able to ride their hot streak all the way to the top. It’s a crazy idea, but not as nutty as you might think.
If the Sabres win tonight and the slumping Bruins lose at Los Angeles, which has won six straight to take over the Pacific Division lead, Buffalo would be just three points out of the Northeast lead (Boston would, however, still have two games in hand).
Ah yes, the two games in hand. That’s the sticking point. That could mean as many as four points added to the Bruins’ lead. It could also mean they blow it completely and come away with nothing and with how up and down Boston’s played lately, anything is possible. Never mind that Ottawa is just three back of Boston right now and could still take down the division.
It’s the most wonderful time of year…
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)