Mar 24, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
In case you didn’t notice last night, the Eastern Conference just got a lot more interesting.
While the Capitals pooping the bed against Winnipeg with Buffalo beating the Rangers earned all the attention surrounding the eighth spot, the Ottawa Senators have come crashing to earth and have put the seventh spot in question as well. Check out the standings as of today.
The Senators only up by two points on both Washington and Buffalo with Winnipeg laying in the weeds? Things just got a lot more interesting. Of course, the Eastern picture isn’t the only one that could get dicey.
Mike Harrington at The Buffalo News is getting wistful at the thought of the Northeast Division crown becoming available and the Buffalo Sabres being able to ride their hot streak all the way to the top. It’s a crazy idea, but not as nutty as you might think.
If the Sabres win tonight and the slumping Bruins lose at Los Angeles, which has won six straight to take over the Pacific Division lead, Buffalo would be just three points out of the Northeast lead (Boston would, however, still have two games in hand).
Ah yes, the two games in hand. That’s the sticking point. That could mean as many as four points added to the Bruins’ lead. It could also mean they blow it completely and come away with nothing and with how up and down Boston’s played lately, anything is possible. Never mind that Ottawa is just three back of Boston right now and could still take down the division.
It’s the most wonderful time of year…
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)