Mar 24, 2012, 10:58 AM EST
In case you didn’t notice last night, the Eastern Conference just got a lot more interesting.
While the Capitals pooping the bed against Winnipeg with Buffalo beating the Rangers earned all the attention surrounding the eighth spot, the Ottawa Senators have come crashing to earth and have put the seventh spot in question as well. Check out the standings as of today.
The Senators only up by two points on both Washington and Buffalo with Winnipeg laying in the weeds? Things just got a lot more interesting. Of course, the Eastern picture isn’t the only one that could get dicey.
Mike Harrington at The Buffalo News is getting wistful at the thought of the Northeast Division crown becoming available and the Buffalo Sabres being able to ride their hot streak all the way to the top. It’s a crazy idea, but not as nutty as you might think.
If the Sabres win tonight and the slumping Bruins lose at Los Angeles, which has won six straight to take over the Pacific Division lead, Buffalo would be just three points out of the Northeast lead (Boston would, however, still have two games in hand).
Ah yes, the two games in hand. That’s the sticking point. That could mean as many as four points added to the Bruins’ lead. It could also mean they blow it completely and come away with nothing and with how up and down Boston’s played lately, anything is possible. Never mind that Ottawa is just three back of Boston right now and could still take down the division.
It’s the most wonderful time of year…
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)