Mar 24, 2012, 10:58 AM EST
In case you didn’t notice last night, the Eastern Conference just got a lot more interesting.
While the Capitals pooping the bed against Winnipeg with Buffalo beating the Rangers earned all the attention surrounding the eighth spot, the Ottawa Senators have come crashing to earth and have put the seventh spot in question as well. Check out the standings as of today.
The Senators only up by two points on both Washington and Buffalo with Winnipeg laying in the weeds? Things just got a lot more interesting. Of course, the Eastern picture isn’t the only one that could get dicey.
Mike Harrington at The Buffalo News is getting wistful at the thought of the Northeast Division crown becoming available and the Buffalo Sabres being able to ride their hot streak all the way to the top. It’s a crazy idea, but not as nutty as you might think.
If the Sabres win tonight and the slumping Bruins lose at Los Angeles, which has won six straight to take over the Pacific Division lead, Buffalo would be just three points out of the Northeast lead (Boston would, however, still have two games in hand).
Ah yes, the two games in hand. That’s the sticking point. That could mean as many as four points added to the Bruins’ lead. It could also mean they blow it completely and come away with nothing and with how up and down Boston’s played lately, anything is possible. Never mind that Ottawa is just three back of Boston right now and could still take down the division.
It’s the most wonderful time of year…
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)