Mar 24, 2012, 9:40 PM EST
The Blues have lost four of their last five games, but when they look to end that slump on Sunday, they’ll defenseman Kris Russell on hand to help. After missing 14 contests because of a concussion, Russell is ready to return.
Russel doesn’t get a ton of points, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock is happy with what he does.
“Kris allows you to exit the zone without having to make too many plays,” Hitchcock said. “He’s able to skate the puck out of trouble, he’s able to skate by coverage. You don’t have to talk about countering the puck and all that. He can skate right by the first forechecker, so he makes exits way easier. So for us, that dynamic on that side of the ice is needed. We’ve got that dynamic on the other side, the right, but we need that dynamic on the left.”
The timing of Russell’s return is particularly fortunate, as the Blues will probably be without blueliner Ian Cole on Sunday. Cole was able to participate in Saturday’s practice, but the team is likely to err on the side of caution after Cole was struck in the head by a shot during Thursday’s game. Cole has been a concussion victim in the past.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 48
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (137)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)