Mar 24, 2012, 9:40 PM EST
The Blues have lost four of their last five games, but when they look to end that slump on Sunday, they’ll defenseman Kris Russell on hand to help. After missing 14 contests because of a concussion, Russell is ready to return.
Russel doesn’t get a ton of points, but Blues coach Ken Hitchcock is happy with what he does.
“Kris allows you to exit the zone without having to make too many plays,” Hitchcock said. “He’s able to skate the puck out of trouble, he’s able to skate by coverage. You don’t have to talk about countering the puck and all that. He can skate right by the first forechecker, so he makes exits way easier. So for us, that dynamic on that side of the ice is needed. We’ve got that dynamic on the other side, the right, but we need that dynamic on the left.”
The timing of Russell’s return is particularly fortunate, as the Blues will probably be without blueliner Ian Cole on Sunday. Cole was able to participate in Saturday’s practice, but the team is likely to err on the side of caution after Cole was struck in the head by a shot during Thursday’s game. Cole has been a concussion victim in the past.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 25
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 8
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)