Mar 24, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
It might have been a foregone conclusion before, but now it’s a fact: the Philadelphia Flyers will participate in the 2012 playoffs. The Flyers picked up another two points on Saturday with a 4-1 victory over the Montreal Canadiens.
Although he was the subject of criticism and the center of controversies earlier in the season, Ilya Bryzgalov has been a key component of the Flyers’ recent success. Bryzgalov hasn’t surrendered more than two goals in any of his last 11 starts. If he can carry his hot streak into the playoffs, then the Flyers will be a formable team going forward.
Philadelphia is unlikely to make up the five point gap between them and the Atlantic Division leading New York Rangers in the last seven games of the season. However, the Pittsburgh Penguins and the fourth seed are certainly within their reach. Pittsburgh suffered a rare setback on Saturday in a 8-4 loss to Ottawa, which allowed the Flyers to pull within two points of their division rival.
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are scheduled to play each other in two critical matches in the final two weeks of the season.
You can check out highlights of the Flyers’ victory below.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)