Mar 24, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
It might have been a foregone conclusion before, but now it’s a fact: the Philadelphia Flyers will participate in the 2012 playoffs. The Flyers picked up another two points on Saturday with a 4-1 victory over the Montreal Canadiens.
Although he was the subject of criticism and the center of controversies earlier in the season, Ilya Bryzgalov has been a key component of the Flyers’ recent success. Bryzgalov hasn’t surrendered more than two goals in any of his last 11 starts. If he can carry his hot streak into the playoffs, then the Flyers will be a formable team going forward.
Philadelphia is unlikely to make up the five point gap between them and the Atlantic Division leading New York Rangers in the last seven games of the season. However, the Pittsburgh Penguins and the fourth seed are certainly within their reach. Pittsburgh suffered a rare setback on Saturday in a 8-4 loss to Ottawa, which allowed the Flyers to pull within two points of their division rival.
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are scheduled to play each other in two critical matches in the final two weeks of the season.
You can check out highlights of the Flyers’ victory below.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)