Mar 24, 2012, 12:39 PM EST
Sometimes playing at home isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Case in point, the New York Islanders’ home rink at Nassau Coliseum is under fire for issues aside from being the oldest arena in the league.
As for the Islanders’ angle on this whole mess, aside from trying to get a new arena built or the talk of owner Charles Wang starting to look around at other solutions for the team, they want to see a full investigation completed.
“The Islanders expect that the building owner, Nassau county and the building facility manager, SMG will review the allegations and take any and all appropriate action. The safety of our fans, players and employees is paramount,” said the Islanders senior vice-president, Michael Picker.
The Islanders aren’t being sued at least as they’re just a tenant at the arena. Suffice to say, an asbestos health hazard, should there be one, would help Charles Wang find a way to get out of there before the team’s lease with the arena ends in 2015. Hey, maybe that preseason game in Brooklyn will be more than a test run for the team.
NBC New York has a video detailing the full story.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 7
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)