Mar 24, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
While the Blackhawks are back in the thick of things in the race for home ice in the first round of the playoffs, they got some great news today.
Captain Jonathan Toews not only skated for the fifth day in a row, but as CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers reports, Toews also practiced with the team. As Toews tells Myers, dealing with a concussion hasn’t been the easiest thing for him to do.
“I was confident a week in that it wouldn’t take much longer. It sucks that it’s taken this long but I feel this is it,” said Toews. “Mentally I’m positive and telling myself that we’ll get through this. I’m not going to let the setbacks that have happened weigh me down.”
Toews says he’s hopeful that he’ll play before the regular season is over with. Getting a game or two in before the start of the postseason would help keep him from being rusty when the games matter the most. With Duncan Keith out of action for the next five games, going without those two players will make the race for home ice that much harder.
Update: Here’s video from CSNChicago.com of Toews talking about all he’s doing to get back to action.
- A taste of revenge? Blackhawks deal blow to Kings’ playoff hopes 2
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 6
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18