Mar 24, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
While the Blackhawks are back in the thick of things in the race for home ice in the first round of the playoffs, they got some great news today.
Captain Jonathan Toews not only skated for the fifth day in a row, but as CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers reports, Toews also practiced with the team. As Toews tells Myers, dealing with a concussion hasn’t been the easiest thing for him to do.
“I was confident a week in that it wouldn’t take much longer. It sucks that it’s taken this long but I feel this is it,” said Toews. “Mentally I’m positive and telling myself that we’ll get through this. I’m not going to let the setbacks that have happened weigh me down.”
Toews says he’s hopeful that he’ll play before the regular season is over with. Getting a game or two in before the start of the postseason would help keep him from being rusty when the games matter the most. With Duncan Keith out of action for the next five games, going without those two players will make the race for home ice that much harder.
Update: Here’s video from CSNChicago.com of Toews talking about all he’s doing to get back to action.
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)