Mar 24, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
While the Blackhawks are back in the thick of things in the race for home ice in the first round of the playoffs, they got some great news today.
Captain Jonathan Toews not only skated for the fifth day in a row, but as CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers reports, Toews also practiced with the team. As Toews tells Myers, dealing with a concussion hasn’t been the easiest thing for him to do.
“I was confident a week in that it wouldn’t take much longer. It sucks that it’s taken this long but I feel this is it,” said Toews. “Mentally I’m positive and telling myself that we’ll get through this. I’m not going to let the setbacks that have happened weigh me down.”
Toews says he’s hopeful that he’ll play before the regular season is over with. Getting a game or two in before the start of the postseason would help keep him from being rusty when the games matter the most. With Duncan Keith out of action for the next five games, going without those two players will make the race for home ice that much harder.
Update: Here’s video from CSNChicago.com of Toews talking about all he’s doing to get back to action.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)