Mar 24, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have been in the driver’s seat of the Northwest Division all season long and proved it today by not having to do a thing to win the division.
Dallas’ 4-1 win over Calgary was good enough to clinch the top spot in the Northwest for the fourth straight year for Vancouver and fifth time in six years.
The Flames were the last team that had a shot at dethroning Vancouver, but after dropping yet another important game for their own playoff hopes, the best they’ll hope for is either seventh or eighth in the West. Colorado could conceivably finish tied with Vancouver points-wise, but would lose out on any and all tiebreakers.
Now the Canucks are locked into a top-three seed in the Western Conference playoffs and can focus their attention on trying to catch the St. Louis Blues for the top spot in the West as well as for the Presidents’ Trophy. Of course, to do that they’ll actually have to win some games and not hope for the Blues to lose their way into second place.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)