Mar 24, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have been in the driver’s seat of the Northwest Division all season long and proved it today by not having to do a thing to win the division.
Dallas’ 4-1 win over Calgary was good enough to clinch the top spot in the Northwest for the fourth straight year for Vancouver and fifth time in six years.
The Flames were the last team that had a shot at dethroning Vancouver, but after dropping yet another important game for their own playoff hopes, the best they’ll hope for is either seventh or eighth in the West. Colorado could conceivably finish tied with Vancouver points-wise, but would lose out on any and all tiebreakers.
Now the Canucks are locked into a top-three seed in the Western Conference playoffs and can focus their attention on trying to catch the St. Louis Blues for the top spot in the West as well as for the Presidents’ Trophy. Of course, to do that they’ll actually have to win some games and not hope for the Blues to lose their way into second place.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)