Mar 24, 2012, 5:35 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have been in the driver’s seat of the Northwest Division all season long and proved it today by not having to do a thing to win the division.
Dallas’ 4-1 win over Calgary was good enough to clinch the top spot in the Northwest for the fourth straight year for Vancouver and fifth time in six years.
The Flames were the last team that had a shot at dethroning Vancouver, but after dropping yet another important game for their own playoff hopes, the best they’ll hope for is either seventh or eighth in the West. Colorado could conceivably finish tied with Vancouver points-wise, but would lose out on any and all tiebreakers.
Now the Canucks are locked into a top-three seed in the Western Conference playoffs and can focus their attention on trying to catch the St. Louis Blues for the top spot in the West as well as for the Presidents’ Trophy. Of course, to do that they’ll actually have to win some games and not hope for the Blues to lose their way into second place.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)