Mar 24, 2012, 5:35 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have been in the driver’s seat of the Northwest Division all season long and proved it today by not having to do a thing to win the division.
Dallas’ 4-1 win over Calgary was good enough to clinch the top spot in the Northwest for the fourth straight year for Vancouver and fifth time in six years.
The Flames were the last team that had a shot at dethroning Vancouver, but after dropping yet another important game for their own playoff hopes, the best they’ll hope for is either seventh or eighth in the West. Colorado could conceivably finish tied with Vancouver points-wise, but would lose out on any and all tiebreakers.
Now the Canucks are locked into a top-three seed in the Western Conference playoffs and can focus their attention on trying to catch the St. Louis Blues for the top spot in the West as well as for the Presidents’ Trophy. Of course, to do that they’ll actually have to win some games and not hope for the Blues to lose their way into second place.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)