This could be big: NHL wants in-person meeting with Duncan Keith

Mar 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT

Duncan Keith, Patrick Sharp, Alex Burrows AP

When a former Norris Trophy winner lands a questionable hit on a former Art Ross Trophy winner, it’s usually a big deal. Even so, the NHL faces a big decision when it comes to determining a punishment for Duncan Keith‘s elbow on Daniel Sedin. According to reports from Nick Kypreos, that situation could end with a suspension of five games or more.

Kypreos reports that the league has offered Keith the right to waive an in-person meeting. That part of the procedure opens the door for a suspension of 5+ games, although the verdict might be delayed. It originally seemed that the NHL would speak with Keith at 2pm ET on Friday, but Kypreos indicates that time could be pushed back “much later.”

(Shanahan has plenty of time to weigh things, most notably because the Blackhawks’ next game is on Sunday.)

It’s unclear if Keith will waive his right to that meeting or take the opportunity to speak with Brendan Shanahan & Co., according to Kypreos.

Combine the star power of the situation with the rumblings that the hit was premeditated and you have a tough call for NHL disciplinarians – particularly on the heels of the NFL’s brutal bounty rulings toward the New Orleans Saints. The Keith-Sedin scenario isn’t on the same scale by any means, but it remains the type of decision that could be a precedent-setter for Shanahan’s still-new reign.

(Keep in mind that an in-person meeting doesn’t guarantee a hefty suspension. It just opens the door for the possibility.)

1. velocirapist - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Glad to see Shanny’s reading my posts!

2. blomfeld - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM

3 – 5 GAMES ? … TRY 3 – 5 YEARS !

What transpired last night was ugly. I’m an ardent LA Kings supporter and as such, even “I” Blomfeld found myself pulling for the Canucks to win tonight ! Like many of you, I hope that Daniel will be okay and that he won’t experience any lasting repercussions … now on a happier note …

WE WIN AGAIN ! … Kings 1 vs Blues 0
    ————————

yes friends … now we’re 9-3 since Jeff Carter joined us and so there’s no telling where this thing is headed ! … you gotta love it man ! … therefore if you people haven’t already done so, then “now” might be a good time for you to stop and finally take notice ! :)

• rarelyshaves - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

you have no idea how to use the comments section

• somekat - Mar 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM

besides the fact that Jeff Carter does not matter. Everyone knows he disappears in the playoffs

3. rarelyshaves - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM

this is out of hand.

keith laid a nice, big, questionable hit on sedin for being too liberal with his body on home ice. got a minor and stalked by the canucks for the rest of the game, ultimately costing him about 14 minutes on ice.

daniel milks his injury, canucks fans whine as loud as possible, shanahan opens up his door??

i dont get it. sedin is back with the team. hes fine. he got what was coming. a 2-3 game suspension (for getting caught) on keith’s part is sufficient. it better be just that.

• taytay099 - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Daniel Sedin is back in Vancouver while the team played tonight without him and will most likely play their next road game without him. I don’t think anyone should classify a blatant elbow to the head as “a nice, big, questionable hit.” I also liked the Canucks’ response to the hit. Look at how bad Buffalo looked when they didn’t respond to Lucic.

I am glad that his hearing will be in person now. I don’t think a phone hearing would really send the message that they’re taking head shots seriously.

4. DTF31 - Mar 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM

One thing I’ve always found weird in the suspension calls/meetings is how the victim is represented by the judge. I might be wrong but I thought other sports leagues take both sides into the ruling like an actual court proceeding.

On a related note, I wish more suspensions were taken this seriously. Might actually make a difference. That or have a rubric for suspensions.

5. schartz55 - Mar 23, 2012 at 2:23 AM

I’ve come to realize this message board is pretty silly. You’ve either got guys who think Bettman and Shanahan actually read their comments or the biggest homers who think their team can do no wrong and are way off base. 3 to 5 five years? Give me a break. Nobody can take you seriously when you say things like that man.

• comeonnowguys - Mar 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I think Velo was kidding. But that may have been just me.

6. iamanidiotfan - Mar 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I don’t always agree with him, but I think Kerry Fraser’s analysis nailed it; Keith wasn’t watching the puck (meaning no intent to play the puck), it was premeditated (since he was paying D. Sedin for an earlier check, which should also have been a suspension) and he led with a chicken wing elbow to the face that was “a deliberate attempt to injure”.

5+ games could send a message re: intentional shots to the head, because it isn’t just about sending a message to Keith, it’s about sending messages to players what is and what is not acceptable.

• h8rgnh8 - Mar 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM

As a Blackhawks fan I see Keith being made an example of what will happen when you intentionally deliver a shot to the head like that. Taking into account that Keith is not a repeat offender, the suspension will still be big regardless. Is it warranted? Yes it is, I enjoyed seeing Sedin get rocked like that, it does not mean I want to see his career ended. It was a big hit, but it was stupid.
      I also Think Sedin deserves some sort of suspension too for his shot on Keith. these two teams hate each other, every time they meet there is potential for emotions to get way bout of control.

• iamanidiotfan - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I thought the best series of the playoffs last year was Canucks-Hawks because there is such animosity. But I’m sure they make an example of him.

7. craigmaitland - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Blindside. Check. Elbow check. Only targeting the head. Check. Player not near the puck even. Check. Only intent on the play was to injure the player. Check. Succeeded in doing so. Check…. Why is 5 games being talked about? Send a message. Out for season.

8. iamanidiotfan - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Playoffs too, craig?

Based on what I’ve read, a talk with Shanny over the phone can mean a suspension from 1-5 games. A talk with Shanny in person usually means a suspension of 5+ games. I don’t know why they picked five games as the boundary marker. It just is.

9. bensawesomeness - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:23 AM

All ESPN was talking about the last few days was Tebow and the Saints punishments

Seeing as Tebow has nothing to do with this, the real thing i’m getting at is what they were saying about the Saints, and applauding the message Commissioner Goodell was sending in a quick, decisive fashion that was heavy and steep, and will make teams think twice about it in the future

I’ll bet on that the NHL will look to do the same – there’s a difference between a rivalry and trying to win, and injuring someone for potentially the rest of the season and playoffs, and Shanny knows it’s up to him to make the statement now before the playoffs start

10. odj810 - Mar 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I hate the canucks. theres alot of gray area with suspensions and before I saw the hit i thought it was probably getting blown out of proportion due to the canucks winy nature. But I just saw it and there was nothing gray about it. Black and white 5 games. I don’t care if its close to playoff time. If you can suspend rome for 4 games during the stanley cup then keith has got to get 5. A deliberate elbow to the head

11. flyersgoalscoredby88 - Mar 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Rest of the season and one playoff game.

12. tradebait9 - Mar 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM

3 games or 5 games, what ever it is, take the punishment and move on. We have the kids to bring up from the minors to cover and we also have Tazer coming back soon. It will be a good rest for Keith to get geared up for the playoffs. GO HAWKS !!

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches