Mar 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EST
When a former Norris Trophy winner lands a questionable hit on a former Art Ross Trophy winner, it’s usually a big deal. Even so, the NHL faces a big decision when it comes to determining a punishment for Duncan Keith‘s elbow on Daniel Sedin. According to reports from Nick Kypreos, that situation could end with a suspension of five games or more.
Kypreos reports that the league has offered Keith the right to waive an in-person meeting. That part of the procedure opens the door for a suspension of 5+ games, although the verdict might be delayed. It originally seemed that the NHL would speak with Keith at 2pm ET on Friday, but Kypreos indicates that time could be pushed back “much later.”
(Shanahan has plenty of time to weigh things, most notably because the Blackhawks’ next game is on Sunday.)
It’s unclear if Keith will waive his right to that meeting or take the opportunity to speak with Brendan Shanahan & Co., according to Kypreos.
Combine the star power of the situation with the rumblings that the hit was premeditated and you have a tough call for NHL disciplinarians – particularly on the heels of the NFL’s brutal bounty rulings toward the New Orleans Saints. The Keith-Sedin scenario isn’t on the same scale by any means, but it remains the type of decision that could be a precedent-setter for Shanahan’s still-new reign.
(Keep in mind that an in-person meeting doesn’t guarantee a hefty suspension. It just opens the door for the possibility.)
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 12
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 13
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)