Mar 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT
When a former Norris Trophy winner lands a questionable hit on a former Art Ross Trophy winner, it’s usually a big deal. Even so, the NHL faces a big decision when it comes to determining a punishment for Duncan Keith‘s elbow on Daniel Sedin. According to reports from Nick Kypreos, that situation could end with a suspension of five games or more.
Kypreos reports that the league has offered Keith the right to waive an in-person meeting. That part of the procedure opens the door for a suspension of 5+ games, although the verdict might be delayed. It originally seemed that the NHL would speak with Keith at 2pm ET on Friday, but Kypreos indicates that time could be pushed back “much later.”
(Shanahan has plenty of time to weigh things, most notably because the Blackhawks’ next game is on Sunday.)
It’s unclear if Keith will waive his right to that meeting or take the opportunity to speak with Brendan Shanahan & Co., according to Kypreos.
Combine the star power of the situation with the rumblings that the hit was premeditated and you have a tough call for NHL disciplinarians – particularly on the heels of the NFL’s brutal bounty rulings toward the New Orleans Saints. The Keith-Sedin scenario isn’t on the same scale by any means, but it remains the type of decision that could be a precedent-setter for Shanahan’s still-new reign.
(Keep in mind that an in-person meeting doesn’t guarantee a hefty suspension. It just opens the door for the possibility.)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)