Mar 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EST
When a former Norris Trophy winner lands a questionable hit on a former Art Ross Trophy winner, it’s usually a big deal. Even so, the NHL faces a big decision when it comes to determining a punishment for Duncan Keith‘s elbow on Daniel Sedin. According to reports from Nick Kypreos, that situation could end with a suspension of five games or more.
Kypreos reports that the league has offered Keith the right to waive an in-person meeting. That part of the procedure opens the door for a suspension of 5+ games, although the verdict might be delayed. It originally seemed that the NHL would speak with Keith at 2pm ET on Friday, but Kypreos indicates that time could be pushed back “much later.”
(Shanahan has plenty of time to weigh things, most notably because the Blackhawks’ next game is on Sunday.)
It’s unclear if Keith will waive his right to that meeting or take the opportunity to speak with Brendan Shanahan & Co., according to Kypreos.
Combine the star power of the situation with the rumblings that the hit was premeditated and you have a tough call for NHL disciplinarians – particularly on the heels of the NFL’s brutal bounty rulings toward the New Orleans Saints. The Keith-Sedin scenario isn’t on the same scale by any means, but it remains the type of decision that could be a precedent-setter for Shanahan’s still-new reign.
(Keep in mind that an in-person meeting doesn’t guarantee a hefty suspension. It just opens the door for the possibility.)
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)