Mar 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT
When a former Norris Trophy winner lands a questionable hit on a former Art Ross Trophy winner, it’s usually a big deal. Even so, the NHL faces a big decision when it comes to determining a punishment for Duncan Keith‘s elbow on Daniel Sedin. According to reports from Nick Kypreos, that situation could end with a suspension of five games or more.
Kypreos reports that the league has offered Keith the right to waive an in-person meeting. That part of the procedure opens the door for a suspension of 5+ games, although the verdict might be delayed. It originally seemed that the NHL would speak with Keith at 2pm ET on Friday, but Kypreos indicates that time could be pushed back “much later.”
(Shanahan has plenty of time to weigh things, most notably because the Blackhawks’ next game is on Sunday.)
It’s unclear if Keith will waive his right to that meeting or take the opportunity to speak with Brendan Shanahan & Co., according to Kypreos.
Combine the star power of the situation with the rumblings that the hit was premeditated and you have a tough call for NHL disciplinarians – particularly on the heels of the NFL’s brutal bounty rulings toward the New Orleans Saints. The Keith-Sedin scenario isn’t on the same scale by any means, but it remains the type of decision that could be a precedent-setter for Shanahan’s still-new reign.
(Keep in mind that an in-person meeting doesn’t guarantee a hefty suspension. It just opens the door for the possibility.)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)