Mar 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EST
When a former Norris Trophy winner lands a questionable hit on a former Art Ross Trophy winner, it’s usually a big deal. Even so, the NHL faces a big decision when it comes to determining a punishment for Duncan Keith‘s elbow on Daniel Sedin. According to reports from Nick Kypreos, that situation could end with a suspension of five games or more.
Kypreos reports that the league has offered Keith the right to waive an in-person meeting. That part of the procedure opens the door for a suspension of 5+ games, although the verdict might be delayed. It originally seemed that the NHL would speak with Keith at 2pm ET on Friday, but Kypreos indicates that time could be pushed back “much later.”
(Shanahan has plenty of time to weigh things, most notably because the Blackhawks’ next game is on Sunday.)
It’s unclear if Keith will waive his right to that meeting or take the opportunity to speak with Brendan Shanahan & Co., according to Kypreos.
Combine the star power of the situation with the rumblings that the hit was premeditated and you have a tough call for NHL disciplinarians – particularly on the heels of the NFL’s brutal bounty rulings toward the New Orleans Saints. The Keith-Sedin scenario isn’t on the same scale by any means, but it remains the type of decision that could be a precedent-setter for Shanahan’s still-new reign.
(Keep in mind that an in-person meeting doesn’t guarantee a hefty suspension. It just opens the door for the possibility.)
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)