Mar 23, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
By the time this post publishes, this probably won’t be true any longer, but the Buffalo Sabres climbed into the East’s top eight for a precious few minutes. They did so by beating the conference’s No. 1 seed, winning a statement game against the Rangers at Madison Square Garden 4-1.
The Washington Capitals are moments away from bumping them out of the top eight even if they lose – it appears their big game against the Winnipeg Jets is about to go to overtime – yet the bottom line is that the Sabres are staying in the picture. (Update: the Capitals did indeed lose to the Jets, but in overtime. Check out this post for an updated look at the bubble race.)
This marks a four-game winning streak for Ryan Miller & Co, a scary sight for the East’s top teams. The odds still seem to be against them, but let’s be honest; if you were the New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins or Boston Bruins, would you want to face the Sabres instead of – say – the uneven Capitals or Jets?
Buffalo still has a way to go before they have a chance to make a top seed awfully nervous in the first round, but wins like these improve its odds substantially.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)