Mar 23, 2012, 5:12 PM EST
Here’s the hit in question:
The elbow left Spurgeon with a concussion that will sideline him indefinitely. Tanguay received a two-minute elbowing minor on the play, with both the hit and penalty drawing the ire of Minnesota head coach Mike Yeo.
Yeo called it “a dirty hit” by Tanguay, and the NHL is expected to look into a possible suspension.
“It’s a flying elbow,” Yeo added. “His elbow is extended and almost above his head – the player’s head, not Jared Spurgeon’s head – when it makes contact.”
Tanguay received a two-minute minor penalty for elbowing.
Yeo said it’s “certainly a possibility” that Spurgeon will not play again this season for Minnesota, which has nine games remaining beginning with a game Saturday against the Sabres in Buffalo, N.Y. “This is not something at this point in the season that we would rush him back,” Yeo said. “We’ll just wait. Day by day right now.”
Spurgeon is Minnesota’s leading defenseman scorer this year (3G-20A-23PTS), so Yeo’s frustration is understandable. This also happens to be the second contentious hit Spurgeon’s been on the receiving end of.
Spurgeon missed two games with a lower-body injury stemming from the hit; McLeod was given a five-minute major and game misconduct, but avoided suspension.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 4
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 14
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)