Mar 23, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
The elbow left Spurgeon with a concussion that will sideline him indefinitely. Tanguay received a two-minute elbowing minor on the play, with both the hit and penalty drawing the ire of Minnesota head coach Mike Yeo.
Yeo called it “a dirty hit” by Tanguay, and the NHL is expected to look into a possible suspension.
“It’s a flying elbow,” Yeo added. “His elbow is extended and almost above his head – the player’s head, not Jared Spurgeon’s head – when it makes contact.”
Tanguay received a two-minute minor penalty for elbowing.
Yeo said it’s “certainly a possibility” that Spurgeon will not play again this season for Minnesota, which has nine games remaining beginning with a game Saturday against the Sabres in Buffalo, N.Y. “This is not something at this point in the season that we would rush him back,” Yeo said. “We’ll just wait. Day by day right now.”
Spurgeon is Minnesota’s leading defenseman scorer this year (3G-20A-23PTS), so Yeo’s frustration is understandable. This also happens to be the second contentious hit Spurgeon’s been on the receiving end of.
Spurgeon missed two games with a lower-body injury stemming from the hit; McLeod was given a five-minute major and game misconduct, but avoided suspension.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)