Mar 23, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
The elbow left Spurgeon with a concussion that will sideline him indefinitely. Tanguay received a two-minute elbowing minor on the play, with both the hit and penalty drawing the ire of Minnesota head coach Mike Yeo.
Yeo called it “a dirty hit” by Tanguay, and the NHL is expected to look into a possible suspension.
“It’s a flying elbow,” Yeo added. “His elbow is extended and almost above his head – the player’s head, not Jared Spurgeon’s head – when it makes contact.”
Tanguay received a two-minute minor penalty for elbowing.
Yeo said it’s “certainly a possibility” that Spurgeon will not play again this season for Minnesota, which has nine games remaining beginning with a game Saturday against the Sabres in Buffalo, N.Y. “This is not something at this point in the season that we would rush him back,” Yeo said. “We’ll just wait. Day by day right now.”
Spurgeon is Minnesota’s leading defenseman scorer this year (3G-20A-23PTS), so Yeo’s frustration is understandable. This also happens to be the second contentious hit Spurgeon’s been on the receiving end of.
Spurgeon missed two games with a lower-body injury stemming from the hit; McLeod was given a five-minute major and game misconduct, but avoided suspension.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)