Mar 23, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Here’s the hit in question:
The elbow left Spurgeon with a concussion that will sideline him indefinitely. Tanguay received a two-minute elbowing minor on the play, with both the hit and penalty drawing the ire of Minnesota head coach Mike Yeo.
Yeo called it “a dirty hit” by Tanguay, and the NHL is expected to look into a possible suspension.
“It’s a flying elbow,” Yeo added. “His elbow is extended and almost above his head – the player’s head, not Jared Spurgeon’s head – when it makes contact.”
Tanguay received a two-minute minor penalty for elbowing.
Yeo said it’s “certainly a possibility” that Spurgeon will not play again this season for Minnesota, which has nine games remaining beginning with a game Saturday against the Sabres in Buffalo, N.Y. “This is not something at this point in the season that we would rush him back,” Yeo said. “We’ll just wait. Day by day right now.”
Spurgeon is Minnesota’s leading defenseman scorer this year (3G-20A-23PTS), so Yeo’s frustration is understandable. This also happens to be the second contentious hit Spurgeon’s been on the receiving end of.
Spurgeon missed two games with a lower-body injury stemming from the hit; McLeod was given a five-minute major and game misconduct, but avoided suspension.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 1
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 21
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 23
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw