Mar 23, 2012, 2:25 PM EST
With the NHL playoff race getting down to the wire, we’ll be providing regular updates on each bubble team’s postseason push.
On the bubble: Phoenix Coyotes
Where they stand: 7th in the West, one point clear of 9th-place Colorado, but the Coyotes have a game in hand
Games remaining: 7
SportsClubStats.com says: 68.4% chance of making the playoffs
Why they’ll get in:
Four of their last seven are at home, including very winnable games versus Anaheim and Columbus. The Coyotes are also an experienced side that believes in its system and has a track record of success. They got a huge win last night over the Avalanche, despite playing without their suspended captain, Shane Doan.
Why they won’t:
No Doan for two more games. Tough games, too. Saturday they’re in San Jose, Sunday they host St. Louis. Considering the difference between making and missing the playoffs in the Western Conference could be a single point, Doan’s absence could ultimately prove a factor.
“The guys knew they had to step up. We had some guys step up and take the minutes. That’s what makes our team the way we are. We can find ways to do things like that.” – coach Dave Tippett after beating Colorado without Doan
Key game coming up:
Saturday at 10th-place San Jose
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46