Mar 23, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
With the NHL playoff race getting down to the wire, we’ll be providing regular updates on each bubble team’s postseason push.
On the bubble: Phoenix Coyotes
Where they stand: 7th in the West, one point clear of 9th-place Colorado, but the Coyotes have a game in hand
Games remaining: 7
SportsClubStats.com says: 68.4% chance of making the playoffs
Why they’ll get in:
Four of their last seven are at home, including very winnable games versus Anaheim and Columbus. The Coyotes are also an experienced side that believes in its system and has a track record of success. They got a huge win last night over the Avalanche, despite playing without their suspended captain, Shane Doan.
Why they won’t:
No Doan for two more games. Tough games, too. Saturday they’re in San Jose, Sunday they host St. Louis. Considering the difference between making and missing the playoffs in the Western Conference could be a single point, Doan’s absence could ultimately prove a factor.
“The guys knew they had to step up. We had some guys step up and take the minutes. That’s what makes our team the way we are. We can find ways to do things like that.” – coach Dave Tippett after beating Colorado without Doan
Key game coming up:
Saturday at 10th-place San Jose
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17