Mar 23, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
With the NHL playoff race getting down to the wire, we’ll be providing regular updates on each bubble team’s postseason push.
On the bubble: Phoenix Coyotes
Where they stand: 7th in the West, one point clear of 9th-place Colorado, but the Coyotes have a game in hand
Games remaining: 7
SportsClubStats.com says: 68.4% chance of making the playoffs
Why they’ll get in:
Four of their last seven are at home, including very winnable games versus Anaheim and Columbus. The Coyotes are also an experienced side that believes in its system and has a track record of success. They got a huge win last night over the Avalanche, despite playing without their suspended captain, Shane Doan.
Why they won’t:
No Doan for two more games. Tough games, too. Saturday they’re in San Jose, Sunday they host St. Louis. Considering the difference between making and missing the playoffs in the Western Conference could be a single point, Doan’s absence could ultimately prove a factor.
“The guys knew they had to step up. We had some guys step up and take the minutes. That’s what makes our team the way we are. We can find ways to do things like that.” – coach Dave Tippett after beating Colorado without Doan
Key game coming up:
Saturday at 10th-place San Jose
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32