Mar 23, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are red-hot right now, enjoying a run that earned them a slim Pacific Division lead. The addition of former Philadelphia Flyers Jeff Carter and Mike Richards has played a role in that, but one cannot help but wonder if another former high-scoring Philly forward would really put them over the top.
Lombardi said that he “doubts” that the dangerous winger could return from concussion issues that have sidelined him since Dec. 26. That’s the sad story of Gagne’s career, really, injuries – particularly concussions – have short-circuited what would otherwise be a borderline All-Star producer’s effectiveness.
It’s not exactly as if the Kings could plead ignorance about his injury history, as that’s the neon-light-obvious reason why an otherwise potent player attracted little interest on the free agent market.
If Kings fans want a glimmer of hope, Hammond points out that Gagne is being evaluated on “a weekly basis,” so perhaps he could bounce back if the Kings manage to stick around in the playoffs for a while. Both of those matters seem like big “ifs,” but Gagne being healthy might actually be less likely.
- Letang banged up by Doan hit 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 8
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)