Mar 23, 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames went into last night’s shootout against Minnesota clinging to their playoff lives.
Then things got interesting.
Head coach Brent Sutter chose his shooters — Matt Stajan, Lee Stempniak, Blair Jones and Blake Comeau — and left Calgary’s four leading scorers (Jarome Iginla, Alex Tanguay, Curtis Glencross and Olli Jokinen) on the pine.
Then Calgary lost the shootout.
That drew the ire of Flames fans, many of whom called in to sports radio shows Friday to voice their displeasure.
One person that didn’t have a problem with Sutter’s shootout choices? One of the snubs — Iginla.
“Whatever Brent sees at the time or wants to go with,” Calgary’s captain told the Globe and Mail. “We’ve had a lot of opportunity. I’ve had some good opportunities and haven’t been able to be above .500 in those. Whoever gets called, you’re doing your best to score there.
“We don’t look at any guys who missed there and think, ‘You let us down.’ We all let each other down.”
What remains unclear is why Sutter opted for those shooters. Stajan, Comeau and Stempniak were a combined 0-for-5 heading into last night — assistant coach Craig Hartsburg said it was a “roll the dice” strategy, but even that fails to explain why Jokinen (who leads the Flames with three shootout goals) wasn’t involved.
At least he’s scored one this year.
All told, Calgary would probably be fine with eliminating the shootout altogether. The Flames are 3-9 in the skills competition and their .250 winning percentage is 29th in the NHL — only Carolina, which has yet to win a shootout (0-6), has fared worse. If the Flames fall short of the playoffs, they’ll likely rue all those blown extra points.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 57
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (58)