Mar 23, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
Former Capitals goalie Shawn Simpson — who has worked as a Maple Leafs scout and as the director of hockey operations in Washington — has tweeted an interesting rumor:
The rumor makes sense (logistically speaking):
– Roy and Hartley won a Stanley Cup together with the Avalanche in 2001.
– Despite his anglophone-sounding name, Hartley’s first language is French (he’s a Franco-Ontarian). He spent two seasons coaching Laval of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
– In case you haven’t heard, it’s beneficial for the Habs coach to speak French.
– Roy’s already rumored to be leaving his QMJHL team, the Quebec Remparts, at season’s end. (Though he did shoot down those rumors recently.)
– Current Habs GM Pierre Gauthier has struggled through a nightmarish campaign and Randy Cunneyworth was essentially hired to be fired. Both could be out the door after the season’s done.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)