Mar 23, 2012, 11:58 AM EST
Former Capitals goalie Shawn Simpson — who has worked as a Maple Leafs scout and as the director of hockey operations in Washington — has tweeted an interesting rumor:
The rumor makes sense (logistically speaking):
– Roy and Hartley won a Stanley Cup together with the Avalanche in 2001.
– Despite his anglophone-sounding name, Hartley’s first language is French (he’s a Franco-Ontarian). He spent two seasons coaching Laval of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
– In case you haven’t heard, it’s beneficial for the Habs coach to speak French.
– Roy’s already rumored to be leaving his QMJHL team, the Quebec Remparts, at season’s end. (Though he did shoot down those rumors recently.)
– Current Habs GM Pierre Gauthier has struggled through a nightmarish campaign and Randy Cunneyworth was essentially hired to be fired. Both could be out the door after the season’s done.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 40
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 89
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 101
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (107)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (101)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (90)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)