Mar 23, 2012, 11:58 AM EST
Former Capitals goalie Shawn Simpson — who has worked as a Maple Leafs scout and as the director of hockey operations in Washington — has tweeted an interesting rumor:
The rumor makes sense (logistically speaking):
– Roy and Hartley won a Stanley Cup together with the Avalanche in 2001.
– Despite his anglophone-sounding name, Hartley’s first language is French (he’s a Franco-Ontarian). He spent two seasons coaching Laval of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
– In case you haven’t heard, it’s beneficial for the Habs coach to speak French.
– Roy’s already rumored to be leaving his QMJHL team, the Quebec Remparts, at season’s end. (Though he did shoot down those rumors recently.)
– Current Habs GM Pierre Gauthier has struggled through a nightmarish campaign and Randy Cunneyworth was essentially hired to be fired. Both could be out the door after the season’s done.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)