Mar 23, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
Former Capitals goalie Shawn Simpson — who has worked as a Maple Leafs scout and as the director of hockey operations in Washington — has tweeted an interesting rumor:
The rumor makes sense (logistically speaking):
– Roy and Hartley won a Stanley Cup together with the Avalanche in 2001.
– Despite his anglophone-sounding name, Hartley’s first language is French (he’s a Franco-Ontarian). He spent two seasons coaching Laval of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
– In case you haven’t heard, it’s beneficial for the Habs coach to speak French.
– Roy’s already rumored to be leaving his QMJHL team, the Quebec Remparts, at season’s end. (Though he did shoot down those rumors recently.)
– Current Habs GM Pierre Gauthier has struggled through a nightmarish campaign and Randy Cunneyworth was essentially hired to be fired. Both could be out the door after the season’s done.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)