Mar 23, 2012, 8:23 PM EST
When word surfaced that Craig Anderson was nearing a return, I felt a little silly (but still had to ask) if the Ottawa Senators could have a goalie controversy in the making. That question feels less ridiculous after tonight, however, as Anderson was pulled about five minutes into his first game back after allowing two goals on four shots.
It’s fair to say that it’s probably “just one of those games,” though. Erik Cole completed his natural hat trick less than a minute later, as Ben Bishop hasn’t fared much better so far (two goals allowed on eight shots in a little more than nine minutes of game time).
Update: in fact, Senators coach Paul MacLean opted to go back with Anderson after the first period ended. He allowed on more goal throughout the game (a Lars Eller mark in the final frame) as the Montreal Canadiens won 5-1, suddenly placing the Senators’ playoff hopes in doubt.
Still, the Senators are dealing with heightened expectations right now. The team might be taken more seriously considering their Erik Karlsson/Jason Spezza-fueled attack, but getting decent goaltending is key.
There could be some debate about which netminder would be best to get that done, then.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)