Mar 23, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT
When word surfaced that Craig Anderson was nearing a return, I felt a little silly (but still had to ask) if the Ottawa Senators could have a goalie controversy in the making. That question feels less ridiculous after tonight, however, as Anderson was pulled about five minutes into his first game back after allowing two goals on four shots.
It’s fair to say that it’s probably “just one of those games,” though. Erik Cole completed his natural hat trick less than a minute later, as Ben Bishop hasn’t fared much better so far (two goals allowed on eight shots in a little more than nine minutes of game time).
Update: in fact, Senators coach Paul MacLean opted to go back with Anderson after the first period ended. He allowed on more goal throughout the game (a Lars Eller mark in the final frame) as the Montreal Canadiens won 5-1, suddenly placing the Senators’ playoff hopes in doubt.
Still, the Senators are dealing with heightened expectations right now. The team might be taken more seriously considering their Erik Karlsson/Jason Spezza-fueled attack, but getting decent goaltending is key.
There could be some debate about which netminder would be best to get that done, then.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 30
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 11
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 114
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 92
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (114)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (92)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)