Mar 23, 2012, 8:23 PM EST
When word surfaced that Craig Anderson was nearing a return, I felt a little silly (but still had to ask) if the Ottawa Senators could have a goalie controversy in the making. That question feels less ridiculous after tonight, however, as Anderson was pulled about five minutes into his first game back after allowing two goals on four shots.
It’s fair to say that it’s probably “just one of those games,” though. Erik Cole completed his natural hat trick less than a minute later, as Ben Bishop hasn’t fared much better so far (two goals allowed on eight shots in a little more than nine minutes of game time).
Update: in fact, Senators coach Paul MacLean opted to go back with Anderson after the first period ended. He allowed on more goal throughout the game (a Lars Eller mark in the final frame) as the Montreal Canadiens won 5-1, suddenly placing the Senators’ playoff hopes in doubt.
Still, the Senators are dealing with heightened expectations right now. The team might be taken more seriously considering their Erik Karlsson/Jason Spezza-fueled attack, but getting decent goaltending is key.
There could be some debate about which netminder would be best to get that done, then.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 55
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (89)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)