Mar 23, 2012, 12:10 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames received a charity point from their 3-2 shootout loss to the Minnesota Wild, so that’s something.
Actually, charity points have become a common thing for the Flames, whose four-game losing streak included two shootout losses and an OT defeat. That result halts the Flames in 10th place with 83 points no matter what happens in the West’s other big games tonight, which didn’t leave Brent Sutter very happy.
Michael Russo paints the picture on Twitter: Flames executives looked “fiery mad” after the letdown, particularly Sutter, who was “fuming and screaming” while speaking to GM Jay Feaster. In fact, Sutter was angry enough that Craig Hartsburg conducted the press conference after Sutter was seen “kicking the heck out of a trash can” on his way out of the locker room.
Perhaps highlights of the loss might explain Sutter’s rage and maybe why he made his strange player choices for the shootout?
It’s not just the losses, though – it’s the opponents. After winning five games in a row largely against tough teams, they fell to the Edmonton Oilers in regulation, the Columbus Blue Jackets and Wild in shootouts and the Colorado Avalanche in overtime.
Come to think of it, that’s the kind of run that makes you want to unleash your rage on an innocent trash can, doesn’t it?
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)