Mar 23, 2012, 12:10 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames received a charity point from their 3-2 shootout loss to the Minnesota Wild, so that’s something.
Actually, charity points have become a common thing for the Flames, whose four-game losing streak included two shootout losses and an OT defeat. That result halts the Flames in 10th place with 83 points no matter what happens in the West’s other big games tonight, which didn’t leave Brent Sutter very happy.
Michael Russo paints the picture on Twitter: Flames executives looked “fiery mad” after the letdown, particularly Sutter, who was “fuming and screaming” while speaking to GM Jay Feaster. In fact, Sutter was angry enough that Craig Hartsburg conducted the press conference after Sutter was seen “kicking the heck out of a trash can” on his way out of the locker room.
Perhaps highlights of the loss might explain Sutter’s rage and maybe why he made his strange player choices for the shootout?
It’s not just the losses, though – it’s the opponents. After winning five games in a row largely against tough teams, they fell to the Edmonton Oilers in regulation, the Columbus Blue Jackets and Wild in shootouts and the Colorado Avalanche in overtime.
Come to think of it, that’s the kind of run that makes you want to unleash your rage on an innocent trash can, doesn’t it?
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)