Mar 23, 2012, 12:10 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames received a charity point from their 3-2 shootout loss to the Minnesota Wild, so that’s something.
Actually, charity points have become a common thing for the Flames, whose four-game losing streak included two shootout losses and an OT defeat. That result halts the Flames in 10th place with 83 points no matter what happens in the West’s other big games tonight, which didn’t leave Brent Sutter very happy.
Michael Russo paints the picture on Twitter: Flames executives looked “fiery mad” after the letdown, particularly Sutter, who was “fuming and screaming” while speaking to GM Jay Feaster. In fact, Sutter was angry enough that Craig Hartsburg conducted the press conference after Sutter was seen “kicking the heck out of a trash can” on his way out of the locker room.
Perhaps highlights of the loss might explain Sutter’s rage and maybe why he made his strange player choices for the shootout?
It’s not just the losses, though – it’s the opponents. After winning five games in a row largely against tough teams, they fell to the Edmonton Oilers in regulation, the Columbus Blue Jackets and Wild in shootouts and the Colorado Avalanche in overtime.
Come to think of it, that’s the kind of run that makes you want to unleash your rage on an innocent trash can, doesn’t it?
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 61
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 49
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 32
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (65)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)