Report: Sedin leaves Canucks, returns to Vancouver for medical testing

Mar 22, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, there are some major ramifications from the elbow Daniel Sedin took from Duncan Keith on Wednesday.

McKenzie reports Sedin will miss tonight’s contest in Dallas after being flown back to Vancouver for medical evaluation, and that Keith could be subjected to a disciplinary hearing as soon as Friday:

source:

Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy confirmed McKenzie’s report, tweeting that Canucks assistant Laurence Gilman said Sedin was flying back to Vancouver today to meet with specialists.

Sedin was knocked out of Wednesday night’s affair after an elbow to the head from Keith late in the first period. The situation got more controversial after the game when Sedin’s brother, Henrik, claimed Keith made comments about getting even with Daniel for a hit earlier in the contest.

Sedin, 31, is Vancouver’s second-leading scorer this season (30G-37A-67PTS) and is the reigning Art Ross Trophy winner.

Update: McKenzie also notes that “when Keith’s disciplinary hearing is held, expected to be a phone hearing, so suspension, if levied, cannot exceed five games.”

1. comeonnowguys - Mar 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM

See, this is the pitfall of a reputation.

He should be injured as a result of the hit. It’s hard to think of anyone who wouldn’t be hurt in a hit like that.

But because of who he is, and who he plays for, there’s that little uncontrollable twinge:

“Is this to sell a longer suspension?”

It’s terrible, and I’m (98.48%) ashamed to say it, but it’s there.

• davebabychreturns - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

It’s part of being a fan, you are bound to experience some bias.

Plus as a Blackhawks follower you probably have no idea what proper handling of a player with a head injury looks like. :D

• comeonnowguys - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

And we have a winner.

• govtminion - Mar 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Credit given- that’s actually funny as hell.

• velocirapist - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:01 PM

What’s this reputation based on, other than the Marchand cheapshot on Salo incident? Salo was actually concussed, maybe Gillis beat him around the skull with a bat to make sure Marchand was suspended?

• pepper2011 - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Really? what’s this reputation based on? did you watch the SCF last year? or the playoffs? they get face washed and they are down longer than Raymond(broken back) or Stamkos (broken face). Not saying he is faking it this time; although I wouldn’t put it past him. They have their spot secured; everyone is a little banged up now and the rest won’t hurt Vancouver. That being said, he deserves something. I also find it very funny that vancouver fans are chirping about proper handling of injuries. MASON RAYMOND SKATED OFF THE ICE WITH A BROKEN BACK. another thing about reputation – they are sneaky players, most of the canucks. Don’t want to keep going back to it but the SCF last year- the Burrows bite- then the funny little greeting introducing “burrows the vegetarian” – like ha ha we got away with it. It’s just a question of integrity. Look at Horton, and how he got away with the water bottle incident – you didn’t see Bergeron introducing him as the “fireman”. Every player and fan not from Van. hates the Canucks because they are pompous and arrogant. the canucks and their fans think it’s because they keep winning presidents trophies and Art Ross trophies- meanwhile the Blackhawks and Bruins fans are enjoying the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe trophies.

• elvispocomo - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

pepper2011: I think you’ve been reading has been reading too many of Dr. Recchi’s medical journals…

• pepper2011 - Mar 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM

@ elvis– what does that even mean? I am glad that you can keep referencing a retired player that did an outstanding job drawing some of the attention away from Chara. If you look at what I said- “Not saying he is faking it this time; although I wouldn’t put it past him.” that doesn’t indicate I think he is faking – it just wouldn’t surprise me, that’s all. I also said Keith should get suspended – thus indicating he was hurt or it wasn’t a clean hit. I am guessing you are either a montreal fan, a vancouver fan – with an outside shot at a sabres fan. Once again (canucks fan, I am betting) you miss the point. As a player, your actions on the ice; help people formulate opinions about you. For example Doan and Benn – I would take either one of those guys on my team. Accountability and dignity – when will vingeault or Beiska talk about how he(keith) should be kicked out for as long as Sedin is out. But it’s ok for your guys to speak, kick,bite, dive and take runs at guys (kesler, burrows, rome, Lapierre salo). and not face anything. You want to know why there was no 5minute major called. Because he dives and embellishes a good deal of the time. The refs have TV’s and are sent tapes of their calls; good and bad. did you see what peverley said about the hal gill hit that took out his knee? I don’t see sedin saying that about keith.

• pepper2011 - Mar 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM

the look on his face is the best part! I know that’s henrik, but it’s the point. this is your team- this is why you won’t win. this stuff is not called in the playoffs- the later it gets the likelihood of getting these calls goes way down. No ref wants to call a penalty on this type of play and cost a team a win in the playoffs.

• jpelle82 - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM

that was the first thing i thought too. just like he dives and flops around on the ice, he is probably whining to the trainers to get attention. the only thing that keeps me from actually believing that gut reaction is the fact they are playing dallas tonight and they need all the help they can get. i still hold faith that he is a professional and he would play if he could, especially this time of year.

• salmon90 - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Totally man! I bet Keith’s elbow didn’t even hit him. Typical Canucks.

• salmon90 - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Comeonnowguys – what exactly do the Canucks have to gain from Keith getting suspended? So they fall in the standings? So that the Canucks get to play them first round? I don’t think so. As much as I love Canucks/Hawk games I think the Canucks would rather try their luck in a first round against the Avs/Kings/Coyotes. Point is there is nothing at all for them to gain by having Keith suspended. And you’ve been reading too many ‘Rozner’ or ‘Rosenbloom’ articles if you think the Canuck’s ‘reputation’ will influence the suspension.

• comeonnowguys - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM

You don’t have to ‘quote’ their names. I swear they’re real-life people. I think now Rozner’s focused his ire on Bieksa.

Anyway, if I were to draw on that initial twinge and throw on the tin-foil cap:

1) He was probably going to miss the next game anyway.

2) As chippy and acrimonious as this rivalry has become, and given 1), it would be little cost to possibly force those dirty little “FIBs” (Ask Packer fans what those are) to eat a 3-5 game suspension instead of a 2-3 game suspension.

Also I didn’t say their reputation would influence the suspension.

P.S. Rozner is straight trolling people on Twitter. Don’t feed him and he’ll probably go away.

• writeit22 - Mar 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM

For Shame! While the Cannucks are not my team I really enjoy their game- and I want no player to take that hit- beating out a superb player by injury has to stop. I want Cannucks to play in the Stanley Title game- 1. their fans bring excitement to the game; 2. Cannucks play to rule the ice- very fun game. NO MORE HITS TO INJURE LIKE THIS. Keith can play better than this and he owes all the fans to stop that type of hit. Keith wouldn’t want to be hit like that ever.

2. davebabychreturns - Mar 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Good.. after the Canucks lost Willie Mitchell on a dirty hit not long after having his bell rung I am glad to see they’ve learned their lesson and are taking concussions seriously.

Hopefully Danny sits until he has completely recovered and can rejoin the team in time for the playoffs.

• kitshky - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:58 PM

That’s the point isnt it … I’m not surprised by peoples responses to this but it’s still head shaking to read some of it.

3. DTF31 - Mar 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Danny finished his check. He didn’t target to hit Keith high but it got him. The thing is that hit happens nightly where someone gets a bit of shoulder to the chin. Most guys shrug it off instead of going out of their way to make sure they hit the guy in the face later

4. hsnepts - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Ignoring the puck, and waiting to pick your spot to hit a guy as hard as you can in the head – that’s a bertuzzi.

Keith bertuzzied Sedin.

• velocirapist - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM

That really Britta’d Bertuzzi’s career.

(For the future are we allowed to reference non-NBC shows or will those comments get deleted?)

• comeonnowguys - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Maybe the proprietor of PFT is teaching PHT his bad habits.

• drewsylvania - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM

There must be video of him smashing Daniel’s head against the ice that I’m missing.

5. velocirapist - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Can you guys clear something up for me? I thought players with possible concussions weren’t supposed to fly. I seem to remember something about Hamhuis getting separated from the team when he was concussed on a road trip last year and couldn’t keep up with them travel-wise. It had something to do with him not being able to go to Nashville to see his old teammates OR him getting stuck in Nashville. So there’s a few possibilities here.

A) The Canucks don’t think he is concussed
    B) He’s travelling home by some other means
    C) The Canucks aren’t be cautious enough with the reigning Art Ross trophy winner
    D) I’m remembering everything completely wrong.

In order of highest probability to lowest: D > A > C > B

• comeonnowguys - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Not flying with a concussion does ring a bell. No pun intended.

• davebabychreturns - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

It’s a notion I’ve heard before but a quick Google search indicates nothing particularly conclusive.. ie. “Some people report that flying in airplanes makes their symptoms worse shortly after a concussion

I would wager the Canucks don’t think he has a major concussion (the type that would have him hospitalized) and as such don’t see a major risk to taking a couple hour flight.

As for Dan Hamhuis, he was concussed last year in a game at GM Place and missed the next five games, including a three game trip.

• jpelle82 - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM

flying can affect blood flow and blood pressure. if his brain is bleeding he shouldnt fly or if he has a blood clot he shouldnt fly. his headaches could get worse from being on a plane but thats about it really

6. hsnepts - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM

You can fly if you have a Concussion. The depressurization could make a headache hurt even more, but it shouldn’t cause more damage.

“The Canucks don’t think he is concussed”. This is a silly comment. Apart from it being stupid, you can’t even diagnose a concussion after 1 day.

• velocirapist - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Well I was assuming you can’t fly with a concussion. If he couldn’t get on a plane for that reason and he was on a plane, it suggest that reason is not valid. There’s plenty of other head/neck injuries you could get that aren’t concussions.

7. shukey11 - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM

What a vag…

8. xxshookonexx - Mar 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Vigneault said, as per the Vancouver Province. “What _________ did there, you could end a player’s career doing that and I’ve never seen __________ take a run at any player in the NHL. All I’ve seen __________ do is play with integrity and play the right way.

“____________— this is just my feeling on this — someday he’s going to get it. Somebody is going to say enough is enough and they’re going to hurt the kid, because he plays to hurt players and in my mind if the league doesn’t take care of it, somebody else will.

• canucklehead3 - Mar 22, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Keith , Daniel, Daniel, Marchand … Did I get the fill in the blanks right?

• davebabychreturns - Mar 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It was originally all one quote and the correct sequence is Marchand, Salo, Salo, Marchand.

I have no idea what “shookone” is saying by reposting it though.

• canucklehead3 - Mar 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Wow not even close … gave myself a thumbs down for that one

9. xxshookonexx - Mar 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Not saying anything, I just remembered the quote and thought it could fit in this scenario as well. It made me chuckle to myself. I’m easily amused. Sorry work is boring today.

• davebabychreturns - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

No need to apologize, I’ll take a non-sequitor over “what a vag” ten times out of ten.

10. wxv1 - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

If the NHL is going to have a just decision, it should include the elbow by Sedin against Keith which was just as bad as Keith’s retaliation against Sedin. Here is a video of the Sedin’s obvious intent to elbow to the head against Keith, when Keith didn’t have the puck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22wQYhn1bhA

• jballzz2001 - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Are you blind? You have obviously never played hockey in your life. It was Sedin’s shoulder that hit Keith’s head not his elbow.

Why would you want to take that kind of hitting out of the game? This is not soccer. It was a clean hit. Keith should not have been admiring his pass.

If keith’s elbow was in retaliation to a previous hit than his suspension should be longer.

• wxv1 - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM

You are the one that is blind. The video clearly shows sedin’s elbow moving up toward Keith’s head, which caused keith to go against the glass. NHL should review this video and issue a suspension to Sedin. To be fair, the suspension should be 3 games to Sedin and 2 to Keith.

• elvispocomo - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Why do people keep talking about “the elbow by Sedin on Keith”? He didn’t elbow him, only his shoulder caught Keith in the chin.

I’m not a fan of high hits where the head could be contacted, for the most part, they’re avoidable by just going a little lower. Certainly, I’ve seen some (the Kronwall hit on Voracek comes immediately to mind) where the head was contacted that I thought were dangerous, but were deemed not suspendable as the hit was through the body. That’s the same with the Sedin hit on Keith, which is just after Keith plays the puck. In any case, Keith’s hit is obviously only contact withthe elbow to the head, versus hitting the body with incidental contact to the head.

I’m sure your next comment would be to call Daniel’s hit a late hit in that case, but I don’t think that’s applicable either. Keith knows he has at least one Sedin who might come in to hit him (Henrik is the one he can see) so he moves the puck, but then gets Daniel coming around and hitting him. Daniel doesn’t hit him from behind, if you think that he did, perhaps we should suspend Kane for his hit on Alberts in the neutral zone.

11. kcprof926 - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM

what about the hit to the head Sister gave Keih?

• salmon90 - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Thanks for coming out

• elvispocomo - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Yup, I’m not sure he bothered to read any of the comments just above his. Hell, I’m not entirely sure of his ability to do so.

12. sixshooter90 - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM

pepper2011 is an idiot, presidents trophy’s, maybe you should check the stats before you go running your mouth, yeah i”m a die hard canuck fan what are you? remember what rome got in the playoffs last year for his hit.

13. wxv1 - Mar 22, 2012 at 3:58 PM

It is absurd how Canuck fans try to minimize Sedin’s hit to Keith’s head, while magnifying Keith’s retaliation hit to Sedin. A fair suspension is that both get suspended, with Sedin given an extra game suspension for being the initiator.

• kitshky - Mar 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

It’s absurd that your ridiculous homerism is blinding you to what most NHL fans and pundits see quite clearly …

This isn’t where we can debate “was he below the knees”, “did his elbow or shoulder hit him”, “did he lead with his knee” or anything else that might come up on questionable hit. This is black and white, retalitory old school elbow to the head when a player never had the puck, and had no chance of ever having the puck.

It’s a regrettable hit by a great NHL’er on one of the cleanest stars in the game and you guys trying to spin this with references to anything else is laughable.

• jballzz2001 - Mar 22, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Go back to watching soccer as you no nothing about hockey

• jballzz2001 - Mar 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM

That was meant for the user named wxv1

14. sabatimus - Mar 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Hit was so obvious and blatantly illegal that Keith needs to get 5 games off at least.

15. sabatimus - Mar 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Whatever Sedin did is irrelevant to Keith’s hit itself. It nauseates me to say this, though, being a Bruins fan.

16. napoleonblownapart6887 - Mar 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Generally speaking its easier to believe that the initial play was accidental and then the retaliation is on purpose. In this instance I think both are suspendable/finable but Keith’s is far worse.

17. jason9696 - Mar 22, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I hope sister Sedin is back before the playoffs start. If not, it’ll just give the Canuck fans an excuse to why they lost in the early rounds of the playoffs.

18. kbmorgan1 - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM

It’s fascinating to me how lowly Blackhawks and Bruins fans will sink. Keith’s actions were deliberate, premeditated and intent on injuring another player. Period. The lack of class shown by their fans and media is truly astonishing, there simply is no justification for what Keith did in hockey.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches