Mar 22, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
Lost in yesterday’s flurry of elbow-related news were a couple of tweets from TSN’s Darren Dreger regarding the future of the Phoenix Coyotes in Glendale.
Dreger reports the NHL will be looking at Plan B if no progress is made to sell the league-owned franchise to local interests. He adds that two to three groups are still “in (the) mix” to keep the Coyotes playing at Jobing.com Arena.
As for what Plan B might entail, Dreger says Quebec City, Las Vegas, Seattle and Kansas City are relocation options.
Suffice to say time is running out before a decision has to be made, one way or the other. When the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg last year, the formal announcement was made May 31. Considering a deal with that many moving parts isn’t consummated overnight, well, you do the math.
There’s also reason to believe this deal could be more complicated. With the Thrashers, it was a fait accompli that Winnipeg would get them if they didn’t stay in Atlanta. With the Coyotes, a beauty contest (in the business sense, nothing to do with bikinis) might be required.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 1
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)