Mar 22, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
Lost in yesterday’s flurry of elbow-related news were a couple of tweets from TSN’s Darren Dreger regarding the future of the Phoenix Coyotes in Glendale.
Dreger reports the NHL will be looking at Plan B if no progress is made to sell the league-owned franchise to local interests. He adds that two to three groups are still “in (the) mix” to keep the Coyotes playing at Jobing.com Arena.
As for what Plan B might entail, Dreger says Quebec City, Las Vegas, Seattle and Kansas City are relocation options.
Suffice to say time is running out before a decision has to be made, one way or the other. When the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg last year, the formal announcement was made May 31. Considering a deal with that many moving parts isn’t consummated overnight, well, you do the math.
There’s also reason to believe this deal could be more complicated. With the Thrashers, it was a fait accompli that Winnipeg would get them if they didn’t stay in Atlanta. With the Coyotes, a beauty contest (in the business sense, nothing to do with bikinis) might be required.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)