Mar 22, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
Here’s what we know: Daniel Sedin suffered some sort of upper-body injury on Wednesday against Chicago, and will miss some period of time.
Now, time for conflicting stories!
Countering that: TSN’s Farhan Lalji says those claims are inaccurate while another report, from Vancouver news radio station CKNW, says Sedin has a head injury and will be out “indefinitely.”
As for what the Sedin’s injury could mean…there are 16 days until Apr. 7, the final day of the regular season. Vancouver has nine games over that stretch and while the Canucks can’t really move up or down the Western Conference playoff picture, several of their opponents can.
Vancouver will face Colorado, Calgary and Dallas twice each over the next two weeks, and could do so without its second-leading scorer and the reigning Ted Lindsay Award winner. That would have a fairly profound effect on the Western playoff race, no?
As for other potential effects:
— Larry Brooks of the New York Post thinks Brendan Shanahan should suspend Duncan Keith for the remainder of the regular season. How dramatically that would affect Chicago is incalculable, but it does open up the possibility of the sixth-place Blackhawks finishing the year without Keith or Jonathan Toews (concussion.)
— In a move to possibly replace Sedin’s offense, some Vancouverites want the Canucks to call up 2009 first-round pick Jordan Schroeder from AHL Chicago. But, as TEAM 1040 radio host Blake Price points out, Schroeder only has one goal and three points in his last 12 games with the Wolves.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)