Mar 22, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
Here’s what we know: Daniel Sedin suffered some sort of upper-body injury on Wednesday against Chicago, and will miss some period of time.
Now, time for conflicting stories!
Countering that: TSN’s Farhan Lalji says those claims are inaccurate while another report, from Vancouver news radio station CKNW, says Sedin has a head injury and will be out “indefinitely.”
As for what the Sedin’s injury could mean…there are 16 days until Apr. 7, the final day of the regular season. Vancouver has nine games over that stretch and while the Canucks can’t really move up or down the Western Conference playoff picture, several of their opponents can.
Vancouver will face Colorado, Calgary and Dallas twice each over the next two weeks, and could do so without its second-leading scorer and the reigning Ted Lindsay Award winner. That would have a fairly profound effect on the Western playoff race, no?
As for other potential effects:
— Larry Brooks of the New York Post thinks Brendan Shanahan should suspend Duncan Keith for the remainder of the regular season. How dramatically that would affect Chicago is incalculable, but it does open up the possibility of the sixth-place Blackhawks finishing the year without Keith or Jonathan Toews (concussion.)
— In a move to possibly replace Sedin’s offense, some Vancouverites want the Canucks to call up 2009 first-round pick Jordan Schroeder from AHL Chicago. But, as TEAM 1040 radio host Blake Price points out, Schroeder only has one goal and three points in his last 12 games with the Wolves.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12