Mar 22, 2012, 3:28 PM EST
Here’s what we know: Daniel Sedin suffered some sort of upper-body injury on Wednesday against Chicago, and will miss some period of time.
Now, time for conflicting stories!
Countering that: TSN’s Farhan Lalji says those claims are inaccurate while another report, from Vancouver news radio station CKNW, says Sedin has a head injury and will be out “indefinitely.”
As for what the Sedin’s injury could mean…there are 16 days until Apr. 7, the final day of the regular season. Vancouver has nine games over that stretch and while the Canucks can’t really move up or down the Western Conference playoff picture, several of their opponents can.
Vancouver will face Colorado, Calgary and Dallas twice each over the next two weeks, and could do so without its second-leading scorer and the reigning Ted Lindsay Award winner. That would have a fairly profound effect on the Western playoff race, no?
As for other potential effects:
– Larry Brooks of the New York Post thinks Brendan Shanahan should suspend Duncan Keith for the remainder of the regular season. How dramatically that would affect Chicago is incalculable, but it does open up the possibility of the sixth-place Blackhawks finishing the year without Keith or Jonathan Toews (concussion.)
– In a move to possibly replace Sedin’s offense, some Vancouverites want the Canucks to call up 2009 first-round pick Jordan Schroeder from AHL Chicago. But, as TEAM 1040 radio host Blake Price points out, Schroeder only has one goal and three points in his last 12 games with the Wolves.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)