Mar 22, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
Here’s what we know: Daniel Sedin suffered some sort of upper-body injury on Wednesday against Chicago, and will miss some period of time.
Now, time for conflicting stories!
Countering that: TSN’s Farhan Lalji says those claims are inaccurate while another report, from Vancouver news radio station CKNW, says Sedin has a head injury and will be out “indefinitely.”
As for what the Sedin’s injury could mean…there are 16 days until Apr. 7, the final day of the regular season. Vancouver has nine games over that stretch and while the Canucks can’t really move up or down the Western Conference playoff picture, several of their opponents can.
Vancouver will face Colorado, Calgary and Dallas twice each over the next two weeks, and could do so without its second-leading scorer and the reigning Ted Lindsay Award winner. That would have a fairly profound effect on the Western playoff race, no?
As for other potential effects:
— Larry Brooks of the New York Post thinks Brendan Shanahan should suspend Duncan Keith for the remainder of the regular season. How dramatically that would affect Chicago is incalculable, but it does open up the possibility of the sixth-place Blackhawks finishing the year without Keith or Jonathan Toews (concussion.)
— In a move to possibly replace Sedin’s offense, some Vancouverites want the Canucks to call up 2009 first-round pick Jordan Schroeder from AHL Chicago. But, as TEAM 1040 radio host Blake Price points out, Schroeder only has one goal and three points in his last 12 games with the Wolves.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)