Mar 22, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
Here’s what we know: Daniel Sedin suffered some sort of upper-body injury on Wednesday against Chicago, and will miss some period of time.
Now, time for conflicting stories!
Countering that: TSN’s Farhan Lalji says those claims are inaccurate while another report, from Vancouver news radio station CKNW, says Sedin has a head injury and will be out “indefinitely.”
As for what the Sedin’s injury could mean…there are 16 days until Apr. 7, the final day of the regular season. Vancouver has nine games over that stretch and while the Canucks can’t really move up or down the Western Conference playoff picture, several of their opponents can.
Vancouver will face Colorado, Calgary and Dallas twice each over the next two weeks, and could do so without its second-leading scorer and the reigning Ted Lindsay Award winner. That would have a fairly profound effect on the Western playoff race, no?
As for other potential effects:
– Larry Brooks of the New York Post thinks Brendan Shanahan should suspend Duncan Keith for the remainder of the regular season. How dramatically that would affect Chicago is incalculable, but it does open up the possibility of the sixth-place Blackhawks finishing the year without Keith or Jonathan Toews (concussion.)
– In a move to possibly replace Sedin’s offense, some Vancouverites want the Canucks to call up 2009 first-round pick Jordan Schroeder from AHL Chicago. But, as TEAM 1040 radio host Blake Price points out, Schroeder only has one goal and three points in his last 12 games with the Wolves.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)