Mar 22, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
In one of those weird twists of fate resulting from a conference change and some wacky scheduling, Edmonton goalie Nikolai Khabibulin will play in Tampa Bay on Thursday for the first time since leading the Lightning to victory in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.
The 2004 Stanley Cup finals.
Yeah, he hasn’t played in Tampa in eight years.
More, from Damien Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times:
It’s amazing Khabibulin has gone eight years without playing in Tampa. Part of that is he has spent those years with the Blackhawks and Oilers, teams that have not come to town that often. The first time the Blackhawks came to Tampa during the 2005-06 season after Khabibulin signed with them as a free agent, coach Trent Yawney decided to not play Khabibulin, saying it would be too much of a distraction. Two other times, once with Chicago and once with Edmonton, Khabibulin was injured.
He did, though, did beat the Lightning in November 2007, in Chicago, with 21 saves in a 5-1 win; and in December 2010, in Edmonton, with 38 saves in a 4-3 shootout win.
A few things have happened to the Lightning since Khabibulin last played in Tampa Bay.
— The arena changed names (from the St. Petersburg Times Forum to the Tampa Bay Times Forum.)
— The Lightning have had four head coaches (John Tortorella, Barry Melrose, Rick Tocchet, Guy Boucher.)
Speaking of Vinny and Marty, they’re hopeful Bolts fans will welcome Khabibulin back in style.
“I hope they give him an ovation,” St. Louis said. “I’d clap.
“I appreciate that year  so much with what we’ve gone through last year, getting this far and not winning it, and this year. It seems so long ago and I owe a lot of that to Habby.”
Lecavalier was also full of praise for his former goalie.
“He’s a big part of Tampa and its history with the Lightning,” Lecavalier said. “He definitely deserves [applause].
“He’s one of those goalies that stole games. I hope the fans give him a nice welcome back. He was a huge part of our team. He’s a great goaltender and a great guy. I think the fans definitely will treat him well.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)