Mar 22, 2012, 8:05 AM EDT
Jamie Benn absorbed some significant hits during the Dallas Stars game against Phoenix on Tuesday, including an elbow to the head from Shane Doan. Benn was initially dazed as a result of the hit, but he still expects to play on Thursday. Doan was handed a three-game suspension for his actions.
“Everyone is looking to get into the playoffs, and they’re keying on guys to shut down,” Benn said. “I had an X on my back [Tuesday]. I’ll take that if they’ll leave our top line alone.”
This is the third straight season that Benn has scored over 20 goals and he’s also set a new career-high with 57 points in 62 games. The fact that the Stars have enough depth, even after losing Brad Richards last summer, to use Benn on the second line, is part of the reason they are in the fight for a playoff spot and the Pacific Division title.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 36
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 27
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25