Mar 22, 2012, 8:05 AM EDT
Jamie Benn absorbed some significant hits during the Dallas Stars game against Phoenix on Tuesday, including an elbow to the head from Shane Doan. Benn was initially dazed as a result of the hit, but he still expects to play on Thursday. Doan was handed a three-game suspension for his actions.
“Everyone is looking to get into the playoffs, and they’re keying on guys to shut down,” Benn said. “I had an X on my back [Tuesday]. I’ll take that if they’ll leave our top line alone.”
This is the third straight season that Benn has scored over 20 goals and he’s also set a new career-high with 57 points in 62 games. The fact that the Stars have enough depth, even after losing Brad Richards last summer, to use Benn on the second line, is part of the reason they are in the fight for a playoff spot and the Pacific Division title.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21