Doan issues statement on elbowing suspension: “I recognize how bad it looked but there was no intent to injure”
Mar 22, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
I accept the NHL’s decision and ruling. I am thankful that Jamie Benn was not hurt on the play. I recognize how bad it looked but there was no intent to injure him. Jamie Benn is a class act and I appreciate how he handled everything. I apologize to the NHL, my teammates and our fans for missing the next three games as we continue to fight for a playoff spot.
Having a player issue his own personalized public statement is pretty rare. St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong posted something similar to the Blues website on behalf of Chris Stewart (following the Niklas Kronwall boarding suspension), but Doan addressing the suspension himself is unique.
Reading more into Doan’s statement, it’s possible this might’ve been an effort to restore his reputation. The elbowing suspension means he’s now got one of the bigger files in the NHL’s “Repeat Offender” cabinet — 17 months ago, he was suspended three games for a headshot on then-Ducks forward Dan Sexton; five days ago he was fined $2,500 for boarding Calgary’s Mark Giordano.
Not exactly the kind of resume you’d expect from someone regarded as one of the NHL’s “good guys.”
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 10
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 6
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 25
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)