Doan issues statement on elbowing suspension: “I recognize how bad it looked but there was no intent to injure”
Mar 22, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
I accept the NHL’s decision and ruling. I am thankful that Jamie Benn was not hurt on the play. I recognize how bad it looked but there was no intent to injure him. Jamie Benn is a class act and I appreciate how he handled everything. I apologize to the NHL, my teammates and our fans for missing the next three games as we continue to fight for a playoff spot.
Having a player issue his own personalized public statement is pretty rare. St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong posted something similar to the Blues website on behalf of Chris Stewart (following the Niklas Kronwall boarding suspension), but Doan addressing the suspension himself is unique.
Reading more into Doan’s statement, it’s possible this might’ve been an effort to restore his reputation. The elbowing suspension means he’s now got one of the bigger files in the NHL’s “Repeat Offender” cabinet — 17 months ago, he was suspended three games for a headshot on then-Ducks forward Dan Sexton; five days ago he was fined $2,500 for boarding Calgary’s Mark Giordano.
Not exactly the kind of resume you’d expect from someone regarded as one of the NHL’s “good guys.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)