Doan issues statement on elbowing suspension: “I recognize how bad it looked but there was no intent to injure”
Mar 22, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
I accept the NHL’s decision and ruling. I am thankful that Jamie Benn was not hurt on the play. I recognize how bad it looked but there was no intent to injure him. Jamie Benn is a class act and I appreciate how he handled everything. I apologize to the NHL, my teammates and our fans for missing the next three games as we continue to fight for a playoff spot.
Having a player issue his own personalized public statement is pretty rare. St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong posted something similar to the Blues website on behalf of Chris Stewart (following the Niklas Kronwall boarding suspension), but Doan addressing the suspension himself is unique.
Reading more into Doan’s statement, it’s possible this might’ve been an effort to restore his reputation. The elbowing suspension means he’s now got one of the bigger files in the NHL’s “Repeat Offender” cabinet — 17 months ago, he was suspended three games for a headshot on then-Ducks forward Dan Sexton; five days ago he was fined $2,500 for boarding Calgary’s Mark Giordano.
Not exactly the kind of resume you’d expect from someone regarded as one of the NHL’s “good guys.”
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 5
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (98)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)