Doan issues statement on elbowing suspension: “I recognize how bad it looked but there was no intent to injure”
Mar 22, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
I accept the NHL’s decision and ruling. I am thankful that Jamie Benn was not hurt on the play. I recognize how bad it looked but there was no intent to injure him. Jamie Benn is a class act and I appreciate how he handled everything. I apologize to the NHL, my teammates and our fans for missing the next three games as we continue to fight for a playoff spot.
Having a player issue his own personalized public statement is pretty rare. St. Louis GM Doug Armstrong posted something similar to the Blues website on behalf of Chris Stewart (following the Niklas Kronwall boarding suspension), but Doan addressing the suspension himself is unique.
Reading more into Doan’s statement, it’s possible this might’ve been an effort to restore his reputation. The elbowing suspension means he’s now got one of the bigger files in the NHL’s “Repeat Offender” cabinet — 17 months ago, he was suspended three games for a headshot on then-Ducks forward Dan Sexton; five days ago he was fined $2,500 for boarding Calgary’s Mark Giordano.
Not exactly the kind of resume you’d expect from someone regarded as one of the NHL’s “good guys.”
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)