Mar 22, 2012, 4:39 PM EST
So THAT’S why the Washington Capitals haven’t made it past the second round in practically forever – they’ve been too good in the regular season.
We never even thought of that one.
Good thing they’re fighting tooth and nail to make the playoffs this time.
“The last two years we’ve been kind of cruising, waiting and seeing what everyone else is doing,” forward Mike Knuble told NHL.com. “I have to believe (battling for a playoff spot down the stretch) makes your team sharper from being on every night.”
Added Mathieu Perreault: “If you look at the last few years, we’re just sitting there wondering who we’re going to play in the first round. When the playoffs would start, maybe we wouldn’t be as sharp as we could. This year it’s going to be a battle to the end, so when the playoffs start we’ll be in the playoff mode and that’ll be a good thing for us.”
Hey, nothing wrong with looking on the bright side of life. But it should be noted the evidence doesn’t support the theory. Other than the 2008-09 Pittsburgh Penguins, there hasn’t been a Stanley Cup winner that’s been under the gun late in the regular season since…um, not sure when, but it’s been a while.
Not to mention, the Caps beat the Rangers in the first round last year. Can’t really blame “wondering who we’re going to play in the first round” for losing in the second round, can you?
Typically the teams that win the Stanley Cup are the teams that, you know, are good enough to win it. And most good teams have good regular seasons…because they’re good.
Maybe the Caps are good enough this year – they’ve got a ton of talent and it’s looking like they could be fully healthy once the postseason begins.
Have to make the playoffs first though.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)