Mar 22, 2012, 4:39 PM EST
So THAT’S why the Washington Capitals haven’t made it past the second round in practically forever – they’ve been too good in the regular season.
We never even thought of that one.
Good thing they’re fighting tooth and nail to make the playoffs this time.
“The last two years we’ve been kind of cruising, waiting and seeing what everyone else is doing,” forward Mike Knuble told NHL.com. “I have to believe (battling for a playoff spot down the stretch) makes your team sharper from being on every night.”
Added Mathieu Perreault: “If you look at the last few years, we’re just sitting there wondering who we’re going to play in the first round. When the playoffs would start, maybe we wouldn’t be as sharp as we could. This year it’s going to be a battle to the end, so when the playoffs start we’ll be in the playoff mode and that’ll be a good thing for us.”
Hey, nothing wrong with looking on the bright side of life. But it should be noted the evidence doesn’t support the theory. Other than the 2008-09 Pittsburgh Penguins, there hasn’t been a Stanley Cup winner that’s been under the gun late in the regular season since…um, not sure when, but it’s been a while.
Not to mention, the Caps beat the Rangers in the first round last year. Can’t really blame “wondering who we’re going to play in the first round” for losing in the second round, can you?
Typically the teams that win the Stanley Cup are the teams that, you know, are good enough to win it. And most good teams have good regular seasons…because they’re good.
Maybe the Caps are good enough this year – they’ve got a ton of talent and it’s looking like they could be fully healthy once the postseason begins.
Have to make the playoffs first though.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)