Mar 22, 2012, 5:59 PM EST
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is ready to talk CBA when the NHLPA is ready, he told the Associated Press Thursday.
“That’s something that we’re relying on the union for right now,” Bettman said. “We’ve been ready to go for months but there’s a new executive director and he’s getting up to speed, meeting with his constituents and when the union’s ready, then we’ll start.”
It’s been reported that negotiations might not get underway until June after the Stanley Cup finals (the CBA expires Sept. 15), though that hasn’t been confirmed by either side.
In addition to new NHLPA chief Donald Fehr needing time to familiarize himself with all the issues, he’s also said he’d like the players present when the serious negotiating is being done. (And obviously that’s not possible when games are still being played.)
Bettman spoke to the AP from Las Vegas where he’s meeting with team presidents to discuss things like marketing initiatives, TV contracts, and whether to hit when the dealer’s showing a 2 and you’ve got 12.
PS – You hit.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)