Mar 22, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is ready to talk CBA when the NHLPA is ready, he told the Associated Press Thursday.
“That’s something that we’re relying on the union for right now,” Bettman said. “We’ve been ready to go for months but there’s a new executive director and he’s getting up to speed, meeting with his constituents and when the union’s ready, then we’ll start.”
It’s been reported that negotiations might not get underway until June after the Stanley Cup finals (the CBA expires Sept. 15), though that hasn’t been confirmed by either side.
In addition to new NHLPA chief Donald Fehr needing time to familiarize himself with all the issues, he’s also said he’d like the players present when the serious negotiating is being done. (And obviously that’s not possible when games are still being played.)
Bettman spoke to the AP from Las Vegas where he’s meeting with team presidents to discuss things like marketing initiatives, TV contracts, and whether to hit when the dealer’s showing a 2 and you’ve got 12.
PS – You hit.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal