Mar 22, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is ready to talk CBA when the NHLPA is ready, he told the Associated Press Thursday.
“That’s something that we’re relying on the union for right now,” Bettman said. “We’ve been ready to go for months but there’s a new executive director and he’s getting up to speed, meeting with his constituents and when the union’s ready, then we’ll start.”
It’s been reported that negotiations might not get underway until June after the Stanley Cup finals (the CBA expires Sept. 15), though that hasn’t been confirmed by either side.
In addition to new NHLPA chief Donald Fehr needing time to familiarize himself with all the issues, he’s also said he’d like the players present when the serious negotiating is being done. (And obviously that’s not possible when games are still being played.)
Bettman spoke to the AP from Las Vegas where he’s meeting with team presidents to discuss things like marketing initiatives, TV contracts, and whether to hit when the dealer’s showing a 2 and you’ve got 12.
PS – You hit.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)