Mar 22, 2012, 5:59 PM EST
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is ready to talk CBA when the NHLPA is ready, he told the Associated Press Thursday.
“That’s something that we’re relying on the union for right now,” Bettman said. “We’ve been ready to go for months but there’s a new executive director and he’s getting up to speed, meeting with his constituents and when the union’s ready, then we’ll start.”
It’s been reported that negotiations might not get underway until June after the Stanley Cup finals (the CBA expires Sept. 15), though that hasn’t been confirmed by either side.
In addition to new NHLPA chief Donald Fehr needing time to familiarize himself with all the issues, he’s also said he’d like the players present when the serious negotiating is being done. (And obviously that’s not possible when games are still being played.)
Bettman spoke to the AP from Las Vegas where he’s meeting with team presidents to discuss things like marketing initiatives, TV contracts, and whether to hit when the dealer’s showing a 2 and you’ve got 12.
PS – You hit.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)