Mar 22, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators have lost four of their last five games and are now just four points ahead of the ninth place Buffalo Sabres. That makes their upcoming set of three games in four days critical, but it should also prove to be a particularly wearing stretch.
Ottawa will play in Montreal on Friday before heading back home to face the hot Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday. After that game, they’ll have to journey to Winnipeg for Monday’s contest. Everything the Ottawa Senators have worked for this season could be in jeopardy if struggle during that three-game set. However, team captain Daniel Alfredsson knows that the Senators can’t afford to overanalyze things.
“It’s easy to get caught up in everything and sometimes, especially after a long year, you kind of forget all the basics,” Alfredsson said. “But we’ve done a lot of good things to get where we are and we’ve put ourselves in a great position. Now it’s just full gas from here on in and don’t leave anything behind, because this is the best time of year.”
Alfredsson saw Tuesday’s 1-0 loss to New Jersey as a step in the right direction. It also helps that this Senators team endured a seven-game losing streak and came out the other end. A stretch like that can teach their younger players how to cope with adversity and might prove to be helpful as they try and end this cold streak before the damage to their season becomes severe.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)