Mar 21, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
After sweating things out for the past 24 hours, Detroit has a starting goalie for tonight’s battle with the New York Rangers.
Veteran backup Ty Conklin cleared re-entry waivers and according to Helene St. James of the Free Press, will get the start on Broadway this evening. With Jimmy Howard again bothered by groin issues and Joey MacDonald out with back problems, the Wings had put the call out to bring back Conklin.
Had Conklin not cleared, rookie Jordan Pearce would’ve gotten the call tonight to make his first career NHL start. Instead, Conklin will make his first appearance with the Wings since February 4 when he gave up three goals in 20 minutes to the Edmonton Oilers. On the upside for the Wings, Howard tells St. James that he’s hopeful to start Saturday’s game against Carolina.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)