Mar 21, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
After sweating things out for the past 24 hours, Detroit has a starting goalie for tonight’s battle with the New York Rangers.
Veteran backup Ty Conklin cleared re-entry waivers and according to Helene St. James of the Free Press, will get the start on Broadway this evening. With Jimmy Howard again bothered by groin issues and Joey MacDonald out with back problems, the Wings had put the call out to bring back Conklin.
Had Conklin not cleared, rookie Jordan Pearce would’ve gotten the call tonight to make his first career NHL start. Instead, Conklin will make his first appearance with the Wings since February 4 when he gave up three goals in 20 minutes to the Edmonton Oilers. On the upside for the Wings, Howard tells St. James that he’s hopeful to start Saturday’s game against Carolina.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)