Mar 21, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby‘s return to action has been impressive to watch but the one thing we’ve yet to see Crosby do is score a goal.
Crosby hasn’t scored a goal on anyone not named Anders Nilsson this season and while that might be a point of contention for some, the way the Penguins have played this season has made his comeback seamless. Crosby has nine assists since returning last week against the Rangers including four against Winnipeg last night and the crazy thing here is the Penguins don’t need Crosby to score goals to succeed.
James Neal is having a career-best season playing alongside Evgeni Malkin. Malkin, meanwhile, is over 40 goals this year and well on his way to winning the league MVP. Even the Penguins’ secondary stars are having career years.
Pascal Dupuis has potted a career-best 21 goals while Matt Cooke has a career-high 16. Throw in Jordan Staal and Chris Kunitz with their 21 goals and you’ve got an offense as deep as any in the league.
Just think of how tough the Penguins are going to be when Crosby gets his goal scoring touch back.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)