Mar 21, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby‘s return to action has been impressive to watch but the one thing we’ve yet to see Crosby do is score a goal.
Crosby hasn’t scored a goal on anyone not named Anders Nilsson this season and while that might be a point of contention for some, the way the Penguins have played this season has made his comeback seamless. Crosby has nine assists since returning last week against the Rangers including four against Winnipeg last night and the crazy thing here is the Penguins don’t need Crosby to score goals to succeed.
James Neal is having a career-best season playing alongside Evgeni Malkin. Malkin, meanwhile, is over 40 goals this year and well on his way to winning the league MVP. Even the Penguins’ secondary stars are having career years.
Pascal Dupuis has potted a career-best 21 goals while Matt Cooke has a career-high 16. Throw in Jordan Staal and Chris Kunitz with their 21 goals and you’ve got an offense as deep as any in the league.
Just think of how tough the Penguins are going to be when Crosby gets his goal scoring touch back.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)