Mar 21, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby‘s return to action has been impressive to watch but the one thing we’ve yet to see Crosby do is score a goal.
Crosby hasn’t scored a goal on anyone not named Anders Nilsson this season and while that might be a point of contention for some, the way the Penguins have played this season has made his comeback seamless. Crosby has nine assists since returning last week against the Rangers including four against Winnipeg last night and the crazy thing here is the Penguins don’t need Crosby to score goals to succeed.
James Neal is having a career-best season playing alongside Evgeni Malkin. Malkin, meanwhile, is over 40 goals this year and well on his way to winning the league MVP. Even the Penguins’ secondary stars are having career years.
Pascal Dupuis has potted a career-best 21 goals while Matt Cooke has a career-high 16. Throw in Jordan Staal and Chris Kunitz with their 21 goals and you’ve got an offense as deep as any in the league.
Just think of how tough the Penguins are going to be when Crosby gets his goal scoring touch back.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)