Mar 21, 2012, 10:24 PM EST
If any NHL franchise should cringe at the end-of-season “golf swing” taunt, you’d think it would be the Florida Panthers. After all, the Southeast Division leaders haven’t made the playoffs since 2000.
Then again, Sean Bergenheim was one game (and two goals) away from the Stanley Cup finals in 2011 with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Rather than just count his many blessings,* Adam Gold reports that Bergenheim used the classic taunt on the Carolina Hurricanes after they convincingly beat his Panthers 3-1.
Let’s weigh the pros and cons to the gesture:
- Sure, it’s juvenile … but it’s kind of funny.
- Brad Marchand did it last season and the Boston Bruins were angry. Then he had a monster postseason and they eagerly re-signed him.
- The Hurricanes are out of the playoff picture, but it gives us all fodder for next season, when both teams might be taken seriously enough to develop a decent rivalry.
- Do the Panthers really want to mess with fate when their spot isn’t clinched? A team with this kind of drought shouldn’t be so brazen.
- Bergenheim has 22 points, a -3 rating and two game-winners this season. If he was in Carolina, would anything be different? Kris Versteeg or Brian Campbell had the right to make that taunt, though.
So where do you stand? Are you a fan of the swagger or do you think it’s a lame move? (If you don’t like it, please keep your comments clean.)
* – To be specific: riding a conveniently timed playoff run into a hefty contract with the Panthers, who conveniently look primed to snatch the third seed.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)