Mar 21, 2012, 1:16 PM EST
If the Capitals can hold on to a playoff spot, it’s looking more and more like they could have a huge piece of their roster back for the first round.
Coach Dale Hunter told reporters today that Nicklas Backstrom (concussion) is going to ramp up his rehab efforts next week.
“He’s going to do more and more,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Post. “You’ll see, next week he’s going to do more.”
“More and more” might include practicing with teammates. (Though based on Hunter’s evil-sounding “you’ll see” remark, it might also include taking over the world with a laser-based weapon.)
Backstrom hasn’t played since Jan. 3. He had 42 points in 39 games before getting elbowed by Rene Bourque.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 14
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (33)