Mar 21, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
If the Capitals can hold on to a playoff spot, it’s looking more and more like they could have a huge piece of their roster back for the first round.
Coach Dale Hunter told reporters today that Nicklas Backstrom (concussion) is going to ramp up his rehab efforts next week.
“He’s going to do more and more,” Hunter said, as per the Washington Post. “You’ll see, next week he’s going to do more.”
“More and more” might include practicing with teammates. (Though based on Hunter’s evil-sounding “you’ll see” remark, it might also include taking over the world with a laser-based weapon.)
Backstrom hasn’t played since Jan. 3. He had 42 points in 39 games before getting elbowed by Rene Bourque.
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 1
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 6
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)