Mar 21, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings don’t come to Madison Square Garden very often, so it was a special game for the New York Rangers even if the Red Wings hobbled into the building. Ryan Callahan scored in overtime to give the Rangers a 2-1 OT win, bumping the team’s Atlantic Division lead to three points.
Check out that winner and the rest of the highlights below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Rangers are now at 99 points, putting them three ahead of the Pittsburgh Penguins. While Pittsburgh holds one more game in hand, New York has the benefit of holding tiebreaker advantages.
It’s an important win for the Blueshirts and while the Red Wings remain in playoff position, the banged-up bunch can’t be feeling great right now. Detroit is now on a six-game losing streak (0-4-2) and a disturbing 3-8-3 slump in their last 14 games.
The Red Wings might just drop to sixth place in the West soon, but considering the up-and-down Pacific Division, facing its winner might just be a blessing in disguise for the battered group.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)