Mar 21, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings don’t come to Madison Square Garden very often, so it was a special game for the New York Rangers even if the Red Wings hobbled into the building. Ryan Callahan scored in overtime to give the Rangers a 2-1 OT win, bumping the team’s Atlantic Division lead to three points.
Check out that winner and the rest of the highlights below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Rangers are now at 99 points, putting them three ahead of the Pittsburgh Penguins. While Pittsburgh holds one more game in hand, New York has the benefit of holding tiebreaker advantages.
It’s an important win for the Blueshirts and while the Red Wings remain in playoff position, the banged-up bunch can’t be feeling great right now. Detroit is now on a six-game losing streak (0-4-2) and a disturbing 3-8-3 slump in their last 14 games.
The Red Wings might just drop to sixth place in the West soon, but considering the up-and-down Pacific Division, facing its winner might just be a blessing in disguise for the battered group.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 22
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 50
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)