Mar 21, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings don’t come to Madison Square Garden very often, so it was a special game for the New York Rangers even if the Red Wings hobbled into the building. Ryan Callahan scored in overtime to give the Rangers a 2-1 OT win, bumping the team’s Atlantic Division lead to three points.
Check out that winner and the rest of the highlights below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Rangers are now at 99 points, putting them three ahead of the Pittsburgh Penguins. While Pittsburgh holds one more game in hand, New York has the benefit of holding tiebreaker advantages.
It’s an important win for the Blueshirts and while the Red Wings remain in playoff position, the banged-up bunch can’t be feeling great right now. Detroit is now on a six-game losing streak (0-4-2) and a disturbing 3-8-3 slump in their last 14 games.
The Red Wings might just drop to sixth place in the West soon, but considering the up-and-down Pacific Division, facing its winner might just be a blessing in disguise for the battered group.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)