Mar 21, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
It was all smiles, hugs and handshakes on Wednesday as Nashville GM David Poile re-introduced Alexander Radulov to the media at Bridgestone Arena:
After Poile and Radulov talked about their excitement levels, reconciliation and shared desire to win, the two got down to brass tacks — namely, rumors that Radulov’s NHL release was contingent upon returning to the KHL.
There have been reports Radulov might head back to the KHL after playing in Nashville’s final nine games and the playoffs. Poile said his understanding is Radulov has no obligations to his KHL team to return.
Radulov said the same.
“There’s been a lot of talking about it,” he said. “I didn’t say anything. I didn’t promise anything to anybody. I got an opportunity to move from Russia this summer, so that’s about it.”
Poile said his goal is to have “this relationship last longer than these last nine games and the playoffs.”
“Probably the story’s not over because we don’t know,” he said. “We don’t know how good he’s going to be, how good he’s going to fit in, how long it’s going to last.”
As for where Radulov will fit in — Predators head coach Barry Trotz skated him alongside David Legwand and Patric Hornqvist, essentially Nashville’s first line. Gabriel Bourque had previously been the LW next to Legwand (15 points in his last 17 games) and Hornqvist (Nashville’s leading goalscorer, with 24.)
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 7
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)