Mar 21, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Joe Sacco should’ve been a happy man after his Colorado Avlanche beat Calgary 2-1 (OT) on Tuesday. The win pushed the Avs to 7-2-1 in their last 10 and gave them sole possession of seventh in the West.
Yet when speaking to Adrian Dater of the Denver Post postgame, Sacco was not a happy man. See, Colorado went the entire game without a single power play — for the sixth time this year.
No other team has more than three.
“I hate to sound like I’m complaining, because that’s not what we’re about, but at the end of the day, enough is enough,” Sacco said. “It’s baffling to me right now.”
The zebras in question last night were Greg Kimmerly and Wes McCauley (Kimmerly was the guy that high-fived Montreal’s Erik Cole, by the way) — and to be fair, they put their whistles away for the majority of the evening. Calgary received just three power-play opportunities, one of which came on a too-many-men call against the Avs.
“[It was] a blatant high-stick on Ryan O’Reilly,” Sacco said. “It’s a scoring opportunity, and four guys on the ice miss it. I don’t know how you miss that call. That could have been a four-minute power play right there, and maybe we could have ended it in regulation. It’s baffling.”
Sacco’s frustration clearly wasn’t just about last night — Colorado came into the contest with the fewest power-play chances in the NHL (204). No word yet if the Avs coach will be subjected to a fine or discipline from the league but, as Dater pointed out, Sacco was angry to the point where he didn’t care.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic