Mar 21, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Joe Sacco should’ve been a happy man after his Colorado Avlanche beat Calgary 2-1 (OT) on Tuesday. The win pushed the Avs to 7-2-1 in their last 10 and gave them sole possession of seventh in the West.
Yet when speaking to Adrian Dater of the Denver Post postgame, Sacco was not a happy man. See, Colorado went the entire game without a single power play — for the sixth time this year.
No other team has more than three.
“I hate to sound like I’m complaining, because that’s not what we’re about, but at the end of the day, enough is enough,” Sacco said. “It’s baffling to me right now.”
The zebras in question last night were Greg Kimmerly and Wes McCauley (Kimmerly was the guy that high-fived Montreal’s Erik Cole, by the way) — and to be fair, they put their whistles away for the majority of the evening. Calgary received just three power-play opportunities, one of which came on a too-many-men call against the Avs.
“[It was] a blatant high-stick on Ryan O’Reilly,” Sacco said. “It’s a scoring opportunity, and four guys on the ice miss it. I don’t know how you miss that call. That could have been a four-minute power play right there, and maybe we could have ended it in regulation. It’s baffling.”
Sacco’s frustration clearly wasn’t just about last night — Colorado came into the contest with the fewest power-play chances in the NHL (204). No word yet if the Avs coach will be subjected to a fine or discipline from the league but, as Dater pointed out, Sacco was angry to the point where he didn’t care.
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 9
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)