Mar 21, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Joe Sacco should’ve been a happy man after his Colorado Avlanche beat Calgary 2-1 (OT) on Tuesday. The win pushed the Avs to 7-2-1 in their last 10 and gave them sole possession of seventh in the West.
Yet when speaking to Adrian Dater of the Denver Post postgame, Sacco was not a happy man. See, Colorado went the entire game without a single power play — for the sixth time this year.
No other team has more than three.
“I hate to sound like I’m complaining, because that’s not what we’re about, but at the end of the day, enough is enough,” Sacco said. “It’s baffling to me right now.”
The zebras in question last night were Greg Kimmerly and Wes McCauley (Kimmerly was the guy that high-fived Montreal’s Erik Cole, by the way) — and to be fair, they put their whistles away for the majority of the evening. Calgary received just three power-play opportunities, one of which came on a too-many-men call against the Avs.
“[It was] a blatant high-stick on Ryan O’Reilly,” Sacco said. “It’s a scoring opportunity, and four guys on the ice miss it. I don’t know how you miss that call. That could have been a four-minute power play right there, and maybe we could have ended it in regulation. It’s baffling.”
Sacco’s frustration clearly wasn’t just about last night — Colorado came into the contest with the fewest power-play chances in the NHL (204). No word yet if the Avs coach will be subjected to a fine or discipline from the league but, as Dater pointed out, Sacco was angry to the point where he didn’t care.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)