Mar 21, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
Joni Pitkanen‘s long battle back from a concussion is at an end.
The Carolina Hurricanes activated Pitkanen from injured reserve and will have him back in the lineup tonight against the Florida Panthers. Pitkanen missed 44 games with a concussion and has been out since early December. As Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller tells Chip Alexander of the News & Observer, he’s more than happy to have him back.
“He’s ready to go,” Muller said after the morning skate. “I talked to him this morning and he feels good mentally, physically. He’s excited and it will be fun to get him back.”
As we’ve seen with concussion recovery all over the league, it makes everyone a little nervous to see them play that first game back but Muller says there won’t be any limits on his minutes. With the Hurricanes on the absolute fringes of the playoff picture, rounding out their defense with perhaps their best player makes for a nice boost. With rookie Justin Faulk doing a lot of the heavy lifting of late, Pitkanen’s return is a big lift for them.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic