Mar 21, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Believe it or not, Dallas Stars standout Jamie Benn told ESPN’s Mark Stepneski that he’s “feeling fine, normal” after taking a jarring amount of abuse on Tuesday night. In fact, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan indicates that he won’t miss a game.
Just looking at the most bombastic blows after the Doan hit, defenseman Derek Morris clobbered him and Antoine Vermette landed a check that forced Benn to spend some time in the Stars’ tunnel, which the NBC camera crews caught in somewhat disturbing detail. (There might even be a collision or two that slipped under the radar; he seriously took a beating.)
That’s either not the case or Benn refuses to be sidelined during a crucial stretch for the Stars, who remain atop the Pacific Division but could very well miss the playoffs altogether if they slump badly.
It’s showings of toughness like this – not just his world class skills – that make the pending restricted free agent seem worth whatever he’ll receive in his next contract.
If he makes it that far, that is.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)