Mar 21, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Believe it or not, Dallas Stars standout Jamie Benn told ESPN’s Mark Stepneski that he’s “feeling fine, normal” after taking a jarring amount of abuse on Tuesday night. In fact, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan indicates that he won’t miss a game.
Just looking at the most bombastic blows after the Doan hit, defenseman Derek Morris clobbered him and Antoine Vermette landed a check that forced Benn to spend some time in the Stars’ tunnel, which the NBC camera crews caught in somewhat disturbing detail. (There might even be a collision or two that slipped under the radar; he seriously took a beating.)
That’s either not the case or Benn refuses to be sidelined during a crucial stretch for the Stars, who remain atop the Pacific Division but could very well miss the playoffs altogether if they slump badly.
It’s showings of toughness like this – not just his world class skills – that make the pending restricted free agent seem worth whatever he’ll receive in his next contract.
If he makes it that far, that is.
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 0
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 7
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)