Mar 21, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Believe it or not, Dallas Stars standout Jamie Benn told ESPN’s Mark Stepneski that he’s “feeling fine, normal” after taking a jarring amount of abuse on Tuesday night. In fact, Stars coach Glen Gulutzan indicates that he won’t miss a game.
Just looking at the most bombastic blows after the Doan hit, defenseman Derek Morris clobbered him and Antoine Vermette landed a check that forced Benn to spend some time in the Stars’ tunnel, which the NBC camera crews caught in somewhat disturbing detail. (There might even be a collision or two that slipped under the radar; he seriously took a beating.)
That’s either not the case or Benn refuses to be sidelined during a crucial stretch for the Stars, who remain atop the Pacific Division but could very well miss the playoffs altogether if they slump badly.
It’s showings of toughness like this – not just his world class skills – that make the pending restricted free agent seem worth whatever he’ll receive in his next contract.
If he makes it that far, that is.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)