Mar 21, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
Evgeni Malkin recorded his fourth five-point game of the season with two goals and three assists in the Penguins’ 8-4 win against the Jets.
Malkin, who had three five-point games in his career entering this season, is the first NHL player to score five or more points in a game four times in one season since 1995-96, when the man who now signs Malkin’s paychecks, Mario Lemieux, had six such games for Pittsburgh, and Peter Forsberg did it four times for Colorado.
This has been a pretty remarkable year for single-game efforts:
— Back in November, Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins became the first 18-year-old in NHL history with five assists in a game and just the fourth to get five points in a single outing.
— In February, Nugent-Hopkins’ teammate, Sam Gagner, became the 13th player ever to score eight or more points in a game, scoring 4G-4A against Chicago.
— Philly’s Claude Giroux had a five-assist night in a 7-2 romp over Buffalo on Feb. 16.
— On Feb 18., Vancouver’s Daniel and Henrik Sedin combined for eight points in a 6-2 romp over Toronto.
That said, this really is the year of Malkin (yes, even with Steven Stamkos scoring 50.) He’s the only player with a realistic shot of cracking 100 points, which would earn him his second Art Ross Trophy in four years — putting him alongside Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky and Jaromir Jagr as the only multiple winners since 1980.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)