Mar 21, 2012, 8:17 PM EDT
That’s not a bad nucleus, but GM Jim Rutherford has been hamstrung by a shaky budget and even shakier moves (see: Kaberle, Tomas), leaving the Hurricanes as a pretty thin bunch. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the Hurricanes are tired of settling for the Alexei Ponikarovsky-type marginal free agents; they want to get into the Zach Parise/Ryan Suter sweepstakes this summer, instead.
(If either star player hits the unrestricted market, mind you.)
Both players would obviously give Carolina a huge shot in the arm – and would possibly boost them to “contender” status in the notably weak Southeast Division. The Hurricanes haven’t had a defenseman on Suter’s level since their Hartford Whalers days while Parise would easily outclass Erik Cole as the best winger Staal has ever skated with in Carolina.
Of course, one could also call free agency the dangerous siren call of sports. Those dreams of grandeur seduce teams into spending big amounts of money only to feel the sticker shock later on. (Again, see: Kaberle, Tomas.)
It’s unclear what, exactly, would make the Hurricanes’ management willing to spend big. Perhaps it’s that weak division, possibilities to gain a rare free agent gem or merely the promise of Kirk Muller’s coaching skills. Either way, it would likely answer the prayers of Hurricanes fans who’ve watched Staal and Ward strain to carry the load over the years.
The Tomas Kaberle‘s of the world blare an important warning, though: be careful what you wish for.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)