Mar 21, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
It hasn’t been a highlight season for Minnesota’s Devin Setoguchi, as he’s made news for all the wrong reasons: Scolded forpartying with friends, his epic shootout failure and having pucks banked off him into his own net.
But considering what happened to him this past summer, Setoguchi might deserve a pass.
Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune reports that Setoguchi’s struggles are partly due to getting hit by a car three weeks after he was traded to the Wild.
Oh yeah, the car hit him while he was in his chiropractor’s office.
Standing in front of that door, Setoguchi heard the flowerpot get obliterated. He turned and caught a glimpse of a car heading his way.
He couldn’t go left because of the office’s counter, so he turned right just as the car smashed through the window and sprayed glass and dirt from the flowerpot everywhere.
“I ran and jumped, and as I jumped, the front of the car hit me in the back and I got shot 10 feet down the hallway,” Setoguchi said.
Setoguchi slowly picked himself up off the hardwood floor. In pain and bleeding, Setoguchi drove himself to the emergency room. He still has scars from cuts all over his back. He needed stitches to close cuts to his hand.
The injuries sustained forced Setoguchi to stop his offseason training for about three weeks and, as he puts it, “pretty much my entire July was ruined. I could do nothing.”
You know what, Devin? Just take it easy the rest of the year and come back and get ‘em next season. You’ve done enough already.
Update: Russo shows off a photo of how the scene looked in another post today. Setoguchi couldn’t be more fortunate.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 18
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 38
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 71
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks