Mar 21, 2012, 6:32 PM EDT
In the most important legal battle since Hustler Magazine v. Falwell, Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier has been cleared to wear his “Hollywood”-inspired mask.
Earlier this afternoon we spoke with Christine Sovich of Global Icons, the counsel/agency representing the trust overseeing the Hollywood sign and the Chamber of Commerce in these types of matters.
According to Sovich, whose company also represents brands like Ford, Cold Stone creamery and Motorola, the entire thing – in part – was a misunderstanding on their side.
“This has now been brought to my attention and we’ve looked into it further,” she began. “The Chamber has no objection to the use of it in that nature (referring to Bernier’s use on his mask).
“Therefore, a letter has already gone out – prior to me calling you back – letting them know…that we apologize for the inconvenience of the original letter. The Chamber has no objection to the use. He can continue to use it that way.”
Yesterday, it was reported Bernier’s mask ran afoul of the commerce chamber — not because the word “Hollywood” was trademarked, but rather due to “certain trademark rights” for usage of the sign and/or its likeness.
(To avoid conflict, Bernier temporarily taped over the Hollywood sign on his helmet.)
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)