Mar 21, 2012, 6:32 PM EDT
In the most important legal battle since Hustler Magazine v. Falwell, Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier has been cleared to wear his “Hollywood”-inspired mask.
Earlier this afternoon we spoke with Christine Sovich of Global Icons, the counsel/agency representing the trust overseeing the Hollywood sign and the Chamber of Commerce in these types of matters.
According to Sovich, whose company also represents brands like Ford, Cold Stone creamery and Motorola, the entire thing – in part – was a misunderstanding on their side.
“This has now been brought to my attention and we’ve looked into it further,” she began. “The Chamber has no objection to the use of it in that nature (referring to Bernier’s use on his mask).
“Therefore, a letter has already gone out – prior to me calling you back – letting them know…that we apologize for the inconvenience of the original letter. The Chamber has no objection to the use. He can continue to use it that way.”
Yesterday, it was reported Bernier’s mask ran afoul of the commerce chamber — not because the word “Hollywood” was trademarked, but rather due to “certain trademark rights” for usage of the sign and/or its likeness.
(To avoid conflict, Bernier temporarily taped over the Hollywood sign on his helmet.)
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)