Mar 21, 2012, 6:32 PM EST
In the most important legal battle since Hustler Magazine v. Falwell, Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier has been cleared to wear his “Hollywood”-inspired mask.
Earlier this afternoon we spoke with Christine Sovich of Global Icons, the counsel/agency representing the trust overseeing the Hollywood sign and the Chamber of Commerce in these types of matters.
According to Sovich, whose company also represents brands like Ford, Cold Stone creamery and Motorola, the entire thing – in part – was a misunderstanding on their side.
“This has now been brought to my attention and we’ve looked into it further,” she began. “The Chamber has no objection to the use of it in that nature (referring to Bernier’s use on his mask).
“Therefore, a letter has already gone out – prior to me calling you back – letting them know…that we apologize for the inconvenience of the original letter. The Chamber has no objection to the use. He can continue to use it that way.”
Yesterday, it was reported Bernier’s mask ran afoul of the commerce chamber — not because the word “Hollywood” was trademarked, but rather due to “certain trademark rights” for usage of the sign and/or its likeness.
(To avoid conflict, Bernier temporarily taped over the Hollywood sign on his helmet.)
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)