Mar 20, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
There’s been a lot made of Alex Ovechkin‘s status as the captain of the Washington Capitals. With the team struggling and stumbling around this season, there are many clamoring to see Ovechkin drop the “C” and get back to being good ole’ Ovi.
Funny thing happened though, Ovechkin found his stride and is busy leading the Capitals along just fine without losing a letter from his sweater. With two goals last night, Ovechkin upped his season total to 32. All of a sudden, Ovechkin is back in the top-ten in the league in goals scored and the Caps are in control of the eighth spot in the East.
As Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post notes, carrying the team is nothing new for Ovechkin.
“I feel pretty good, you know?” said Ovechkin, who is on pace for 36 goals, which would be a four-goal improvement over last season but 29 fewer than his career high. “I don’t have so many chances to score goals. If I have a chance, I have to use it. Teams play against my line very hard. They put some pressure for me and for my partners. If I have a chance to score, I have to score.”
No pressure there for Ovechkin at all. Obviously if Ovechkin continues to pump in goals, the Capitals won’t have to sweat so much about making the playoffs and can switch their focus on ruining someone else’s postseason hopes.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)