Mar 20, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
There’s been a lot made of Alex Ovechkin‘s status as the captain of the Washington Capitals. With the team struggling and stumbling around this season, there are many clamoring to see Ovechkin drop the “C” and get back to being good ole’ Ovi.
Funny thing happened though, Ovechkin found his stride and is busy leading the Capitals along just fine without losing a letter from his sweater. With two goals last night, Ovechkin upped his season total to 32. All of a sudden, Ovechkin is back in the top-ten in the league in goals scored and the Caps are in control of the eighth spot in the East.
As Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post notes, carrying the team is nothing new for Ovechkin.
“I feel pretty good, you know?” said Ovechkin, who is on pace for 36 goals, which would be a four-goal improvement over last season but 29 fewer than his career high. “I don’t have so many chances to score goals. If I have a chance, I have to use it. Teams play against my line very hard. They put some pressure for me and for my partners. If I have a chance to score, I have to score.”
No pressure there for Ovechkin at all. Obviously if Ovechkin continues to pump in goals, the Capitals won’t have to sweat so much about making the playoffs and can switch their focus on ruining someone else’s postseason hopes.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 7
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 2
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)