Mar 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer had some harsh words for John Tortorella following Monday’s line brawl at MSG. He called the New York bench boss a “hypocrite” that might’ve had “short-term memory loss” for objecting to DeBoer starting all his tough guys.
Today, Tortorella offered a blunt response:
“I think Peter needs to jog his memory, as far as the starting lineups that I’ve put in in his building,” Tortorella told ESPN New York (the last time they played in New Jersey, the Rangers started Artem Anisimov, Derek Stepan and Marian Gaborik).
“And really, basically just shut up. And I need to also.”
Despite stressing the need to shut up, Tortorella wasn’t done talking.
“I think the situation last night was disrespectful to players, and I think we took a backwards step,” he continued. “I get put into a position when he puts a lineup out, that I’m not sure what’s going to happen if I put my top players out, so I have to answer the way I need to answer.
“Just look at the two lineups and some of the things he’s done through the games here. I don’t want to coach his team here, but just shut up.”
DeBoer opened last night’s contest with Eric Boulton, Ryan Carter and Cam Janssen up front — combined, they’ve fought 22 times this year — a response to the lineup Tortorella started on Dec. 20 at the Prudential Center in New Jersey. In that game, a 4-1 Rangers win, Torts started both Mike Rupp and Brandon Prust with Rupp and Janssen fighting three seconds into the first period.
That said, the Rangers head coach made it clear he doesn’t enjoy staged fights.
“Fighting’s part of the game, it’s a big part of the game, but it doesn’t need to be manufactured,” Tortorella said. “In that type of game — Jersey and the Rangers — there was going to be fights, but it’s really gotten old for me, the staged fights.
“That crap at the beginning of the game, to try to manipulate it into it, I just don’t think it’s right for the game. I think there’s enough of it and there always will be and there should be, but let the players decide.”
Jun 19, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
The Bruins won’t give up.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
… And there were plenty of other close calls.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks would appreciate the cap space.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT
Michal Handzus scores first, Rich Peverley ties it.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The money part has been settled, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
In case you were worrying about another late scratch.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
The Swede wasn’t getting benched during playoff games, for one.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Tough timing for free agent Mason Raymond.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
37-year-old ‘tender ready to call it a career.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
That’s a picture of Mike Komisarek.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s Dan Bylsma considered to be a favorite for the position.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Which could be why they end up swapping coaches.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
The players’ union and Board of Governors will vote near the end of the exhibition campaign.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Detroit could have quite the sports and entertainment district.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
His choice. Wasn’t required to go.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Canada last hosted in 2012.
Jun 19, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
“He’s forechecked, done well in the battles as far as trying to come up with the puck, all the things we ask him to do.”
Jun 19, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Trio was huge against L.A. in the Western Conference finals.
Jun 19, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
But let’s just wait and see for sure.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Despite recent reports.
- Video: Boston quickly erases Chicago’s late lead 0
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 5
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming