Tortorella to DeBoer: “Just shut up”

Mar 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT

Torts

New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer had some harsh words for John Tortorella following Monday’s line brawl at MSG. He called the New York bench boss a “hypocrite” that might’ve had “short-term memory loss” for objecting to DeBoer starting all his tough guys.

Today, Tortorella offered a blunt response:

Shut up.

“I think Peter needs to jog his memory, as far as the starting lineups that I’ve put in in his building,” Tortorella told ESPN New York (the last time they played in New Jersey, the Rangers started Artem Anisimov, Derek Stepan and Marian Gaborik).

“And really, basically just shut up. And I need to also.”

Despite stressing the need to shut up, Tortorella wasn’t done talking.

“I think the situation last night was disrespectful to players, and I think we took a backwards step,” he continued. “I get put into a position when he puts a lineup out, that I’m not sure what’s going to happen if I put my top players out, so I have to answer the way I need to answer.

“Just look at the two lineups and some of the things he’s done through the games here. I don’t want to coach his team here, but just shut up.”

DeBoer opened last night’s contest with Eric Boulton, Ryan Carter and Cam Janssen up front — combined, they’ve fought 22 times this year — a response to the lineup Tortorella started on Dec. 20 at the Prudential Center in New Jersey. In that game, a 4-1 Rangers win, Torts started both Mike Rupp and Brandon Prust with Rupp and Janssen fighting three seconds into the first period.

That said, the Rangers head coach made it clear he doesn’t enjoy staged fights.

“Fighting’s part of the game, it’s a big part of the game, but it doesn’t need to be manufactured,” Tortorella said. “In that type of game — Jersey and the Rangers — there was going to be fights, but it’s really gotten old for me, the staged fights.

“That crap at the beginning of the game, to try to manipulate it into it, I just don’t think it’s right for the game. I think there’s enough of it and there always will be and there should be, but let the players decide.”

Latest Posts
  1. Jacobs feels firing Chiarelli was right move, cites cap management

Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Jeremy Jacobs Getty Images

The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”

2. Former NHL forward Berezin arrested for alleged fraud

Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT

Sergei Berezin Getty Images

He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

3. Coyotes sign German League standout goalie Treutle

Jul 29, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT

Niklas Treutle Getty Images

The 24-year-old gives agreed to an entry-level deal.

4. Shero: Buying out Zubrus creates flexibility to add forward

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

Dainius Zubrus Getty Images

“It really wasn’t about Dainius himself.”

5. Gillette Stadium will host Bruins-Habs alumni game ahead of Winter Classic

Jul 29, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT

2016 Winter Classic Logo

The contest will air on Dec. 31 while the Classic itself is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET on Jan. 1.

6. Ryan Murray: ‘I have to show up and prove it’

Jul 29, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT

Ryan Murray AP

Staying healthy would help, too.

7. Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs

Jul 29, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

The Seal Beach Detention Center isn’t exactly Shawshank.

8. Campbell credits ECHL stint for turning his game around

Jul 29, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT

Dallas Stars training camp Getty Images

“I relaxed down there and came back with the same attitude and everything kind of took care of itself.”

9. Zubrus on unconditional waivers for purpose of terminating his contract

Jul 29, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT

New York Rangers v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Veteran forward had just four goals and six assists in 74 games last season.

10. Talbot knows he has a ‘great opportunity’ in Edmonton

Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT

Cam Talbot AP

Can he give the Oilers the goaltending they so badly need?

11. Report: Rangers prospect Andersson headed to North America

Jul 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

ERC Ingolstadt v EV Zug - Champions Hockey League Getty Images

Spent last season with Lugano in the Swiss League.

12. Report: Visnovsky considering European options

Jul 28, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 04: Lubomir Visnovsky #11 of the New York Islanders in action against the Washington Capitals at the Verizon Center on February 4, 2014 in Washington, DC. The New York Islanders won, 1-0. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images) Getty Images

Potentially a move to Switzerland, or the Czech League.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches