Tortorella to DeBoer: “Just shut up”

Mar 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT

Torts

New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer had some harsh words for John Tortorella following Monday’s line brawl at MSG. He called the New York bench boss a “hypocrite” that might’ve had “short-term memory loss” for objecting to DeBoer starting all his tough guys.

Today, Tortorella offered a blunt response:

Shut up.

“I think Peter needs to jog his memory, as far as the starting lineups that I’ve put in in his building,” Tortorella told ESPN New York (the last time they played in New Jersey, the Rangers started Artem Anisimov, Derek Stepan and Marian Gaborik).

“And really, basically just shut up. And I need to also.”

Despite stressing the need to shut up, Tortorella wasn’t done talking.

“I think the situation last night was disrespectful to players, and I think we took a backwards step,” he continued. “I get put into a position when he puts a lineup out, that I’m not sure what’s going to happen if I put my top players out, so I have to answer the way I need to answer.

“Just look at the two lineups and some of the things he’s done through the games here. I don’t want to coach his team here, but just shut up.”

DeBoer opened last night’s contest with Eric Boulton, Ryan Carter and Cam Janssen up front — combined, they’ve fought 22 times this year — a response to the lineup Tortorella started on Dec. 20 at the Prudential Center in New Jersey. In that game, a 4-1 Rangers win, Torts started both Mike Rupp and Brandon Prust with Rupp and Janssen fighting three seconds into the first period.

That said, the Rangers head coach made it clear he doesn’t enjoy staged fights.

“Fighting’s part of the game, it’s a big part of the game, but it doesn’t need to be manufactured,” Tortorella said. “In that type of game — Jersey and the Rangers — there was going to be fights, but it’s really gotten old for me, the staged fights.

“That crap at the beginning of the game, to try to manipulate it into it, I just don’t think it’s right for the game. I think there’s enough of it and there always will be and there should be, but let the players decide.”

Latest Posts
  1. Blues ink Brodziak, Harrold to one-year contracts

Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT

Kyle Brodziak Kyle Brodziak

Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.

2. Oshie on trade from St. Louis: ‘Changes had to be made’

Jul 2, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

T.J. Oshie T.J. Oshie

He’s looking forward to playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington.

3. Report: Voynov remains suspended by the NHL after taking plea

Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Slava Voynov Slava Voynov

There’s no “timetables for next steps,” according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.

4. Kessel on moving on from Toronto: ‘It’s a different world there’

Jul 2, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT

Phil Kessel Phil Kessel

The 27-year-old is looking forward to a fresh start in Pittsburgh.

5. Ducks bring back d-man Holzer with one-year, $750K deal

Jul 2, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT

Anaheim Ducks Headshots Getty Images

Acquired from Toronto at last year’s trade deadline.

6. NHL-KHL fail to reach player-transfer deal

Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT

khl_logo

Leagues will continue to respect each other’s contracts. But that’s it.

7. Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation

Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 PM EDT

Pleads no contest to misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a spouse.

8. Sharks hire Boughner, Hedberg as DeBoer’s assistants

Jul 2, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT

Windsor Spitfires v Niagara Ice Dogs Getty Images

Boughner coached against DeBoer in the OHL, Hedberg played for him in New Jersey.

9. Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career

Jul 2, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning - Game Four Getty Images

Former Hart Trophy winner announced his retirement on Thursday.

10. Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency

Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT

150702_JustinWilliams Getty Images

“At some point Justin became more affordable to us, and we started to lean his way.”

11. Kassian vows to give it all for Habs: ‘As you grow older, you mature’

Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT

Zack Kassian Getty Images

“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”

12. Shattenkirk’s agent downplays trade rumors

Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT

Kevin Shattenkirk AP

But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches