Tortorella to DeBoer: “Just shut up”

Mar 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EST

Torts

New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer had some harsh words for John Tortorella following Monday’s line brawl at MSG. He called the New York bench boss a “hypocrite” that might’ve had “short-term memory loss” for objecting to DeBoer starting all his tough guys.

Today, Tortorella offered a blunt response:

Shut up.

“I think Peter needs to jog his memory, as far as the starting lineups that I’ve put in in his building,” Tortorella told ESPN New York (the last time they played in New Jersey, the Rangers started Artem Anisimov, Derek Stepan and Marian Gaborik).

“And really, basically just shut up. And I need to also.”

Despite stressing the need to shut up, Tortorella wasn’t done talking.

“I think the situation last night was disrespectful to players, and I think we took a backwards step,” he continued. “I get put into a position when he puts a lineup out, that I’m not sure what’s going to happen if I put my top players out, so I have to answer the way I need to answer.

“Just look at the two lineups and some of the things he’s done through the games here. I don’t want to coach his team here, but just shut up.”

DeBoer opened last night’s contest with Eric Boulton, Ryan Carter and Cam Janssen up front — combined, they’ve fought 22 times this year — a response to the lineup Tortorella started on Dec. 20 at the Prudential Center in New Jersey. In that game, a 4-1 Rangers win, Torts started both Mike Rupp and Brandon Prust with Rupp and Janssen fighting three seconds into the first period.

That said, the Rangers head coach made it clear he doesn’t enjoy staged fights.

“Fighting’s part of the game, it’s a big part of the game, but it doesn’t need to be manufactured,” Tortorella said. “In that type of game — Jersey and the Rangers — there was going to be fights, but it’s really gotten old for me, the staged fights.

“That crap at the beginning of the game, to try to manipulate it into it, I just don’t think it’s right for the game. I think there’s enough of it and there always will be and there should be, but let the players decide.”

1. somekat - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Translation, when I do it, it’s ok. When anyone else does it, it is a disgrace

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Expect anything different?

John seemed to hold back here though. Here’s probably what was going on in his head: When I do it, who gives a f*ck? When another mother*fcker does it he can go f*ck himself. Everyone just needs to shut the f*ck up about this.

2. lilgurgi - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

It pains me to say this (being a Flyers fan), but I have to agree with Tortorella on this one on one point. Fighting should always be allowed in hockey as it lets the players protect the star players when they are obviously being targeted by late hits/cheap shots by the other team. Staged fights (as exciting as they are at the moment) are bad for the game as media outlets everywhere will show them over and over in a negative way towards hockey.

With that being said…at some time or another every coach has started their “tough guys” for a road game to get the energy level started high. Coaches seem to forget this when it’s the other coach that is doing it to them. Tortorella just needs to shut up and move on as he has done this in the past and had no problems with it.

• bmscalise - Mar 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I agree that staged fights don’t contribute to the game, but the players shouldn’t HAVE to fight to protect their stars. The refs ought to be competent enough that the players don’t need to police themselves. I’m not saying they are – but they ought to be. No other professional sports league would even consider suggest an idea so silly that the players should be the ones “policing” things.

This pathetic “let the boys play” attitude, and the sorry excuse for officiating that it produces, is what perpetuates this sort of staged fighting – as well as the after-the-whistle crap the Flyers pulled and were not penalized for on Saturday against the Pens. (The Pens should have been above it, and will be next time, but that’s besides the point here.)

3. t16rich - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Hahahaha. Torts knows that Peter is right.

4. nikolainyr - Mar 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This was just the boiling over of a hard fought season series.
    I think you have take a different look at the personnel involved. While players like Carter, Jannsen, Boulton, Bickel, and John Scott are fighters first and hockey players second. The same doesn’t really apply to Brandon Prust, Mike Rupp or David Clarkson.
    Prust’s primary role for the Rangers is a checking winger on a grinding line and a PK specialist. His second job is as a fighter. Torts starting Prust on the road isn’t an invitation to start a game with a fight, it’s putting out his checking line to say, if you want to start your stars, our checking line is ready to go.
    But Boulton, Jannsen, and Carter? If you take into account the comments made after the last game by these guys, it’s clear the Devils wanted to antagonize this.
    Luckily for the Rangers, no one got hurt, a few Devs got tuned up, and they got the first goal.
    Almost all of Prust’s first shift fights occur at home as a reaction to the visiting team starting a goon. This isn’t a favored Torts tactic.
    This was the Devils poking at a bear and getting eaten for it.

• trigzter - Mar 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

17 point, team leading PIM prust is a checking winger? good joke. he averages 12 minutes a game. he’s a goon

5. adirondack77 - Mar 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Glad to see the Atlantic division rivalries going strong- makes for good hockey!

6. letangusespertplus - Mar 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Is this why Dubs didn’t fight again?

7. pkswally024 - Mar 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Bmscalisi.. Cry a little more.. Wahh wah wahhhhh

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches