Mar 20, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
Many people reasonably complained when the hyper-dramatic Phoenix Coyotes-Dallas Stars game went to a shootout, but it opened the door for one of those rare moments when sports become pure theater.
The newly crowned villain must save his team in a 1-on-1 situation with the crowd booing him.
Shane Doan surprisingly played that role well – if unwittingly – tonight. After landing a possibly suspension-worthy elbow on Dallas Stars stud Jamie Benn, Doan assisted on both goals to send the game to OT 3-3. Doan had a chance to tie the shootout up after a mind-blowing Mike Ribeiro success, but Kari Lehtonen waited him out for the 4-3 (SO) victory. Yet the most striking thing during that attempt was that the crowd booed Doan heartily the whole time.
Doan and Benn – who took at least two other scary hits – were the central figures of what was a great contest. The Coyotes continue to fall behind by two goals lately, yet they keep coming back. Edmonton had a 2-0 lead against them last night only to lose in a shootout to them 3-2 via a shootout while Phoenix fought back from a 3-1 deficit tonight.
The Stars got the last laugh, though, and their 85 points ensures that they’ll remain atop the Pacific Division no matter what happens in the big San Jose-Los Angeles battle (currently 1-1 with 3:27 left in the first period, airing on NBC Sports Network).This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Benn banged up?
The only big worry – beyond those tough Pacific teams that are still not that far behind – is the health of crucial star Benn. The big forward made a shootout attempt and generally kept coming back after scary hits, but was also seen shaken up in the Stars’ tunnel during the game. We’ll have to wait and see about a development that could hurt a whole lot more than allowing the Coyotes a charity point.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)