Mar 20, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
Many people reasonably complained when the hyper-dramatic Phoenix Coyotes-Dallas Stars game went to a shootout, but it opened the door for one of those rare moments when sports become pure theater.
The newly crowned villain must save his team in a 1-on-1 situation with the crowd booing him.
Shane Doan surprisingly played that role well – if unwittingly – tonight. After landing a possibly suspension-worthy elbow on Dallas Stars stud Jamie Benn, Doan assisted on both goals to send the game to OT 3-3. Doan had a chance to tie the shootout up after a mind-blowing Mike Ribeiro success, but Kari Lehtonen waited him out for the 4-3 (SO) victory. Yet the most striking thing during that attempt was that the crowd booed Doan heartily the whole time.
Doan and Benn – who took at least two other scary hits – were the central figures of what was a great contest. The Coyotes continue to fall behind by two goals lately, yet they keep coming back. Edmonton had a 2-0 lead against them last night only to lose in a shootout to them 3-2 via a shootout while Phoenix fought back from a 3-1 deficit tonight.
The Stars got the last laugh, though, and their 85 points ensures that they’ll remain atop the Pacific Division no matter what happens in the big San Jose-Los Angeles battle (currently 1-1 with 3:27 left in the first period, airing on NBC Sports Network).This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Benn banged up?
The only big worry – beyond those tough Pacific teams that are still not that far behind – is the health of crucial star Benn. The big forward made a shootout attempt and generally kept coming back after scary hits, but was also seen shaken up in the Stars’ tunnel during the game. We’ll have to wait and see about a development that could hurt a whole lot more than allowing the Coyotes a charity point.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 48
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)