Mar 20, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
Many people reasonably complained when the hyper-dramatic Phoenix Coyotes-Dallas Stars game went to a shootout, but it opened the door for one of those rare moments when sports become pure theater.
The newly crowned villain must save his team in a 1-on-1 situation with the crowd booing him.
Shane Doan surprisingly played that role well – if unwittingly – tonight. After landing a possibly suspension-worthy elbow on Dallas Stars stud Jamie Benn, Doan assisted on both goals to send the game to OT 3-3. Doan had a chance to tie the shootout up after a mind-blowing Mike Ribeiro success, but Kari Lehtonen waited him out for the 4-3 (SO) victory. Yet the most striking thing during that attempt was that the crowd booed Doan heartily the whole time.
Doan and Benn – who took at least two other scary hits – were the central figures of what was a great contest. The Coyotes continue to fall behind by two goals lately, yet they keep coming back. Edmonton had a 2-0 lead against them last night only to lose in a shootout to them 3-2 via a shootout while Phoenix fought back from a 3-1 deficit tonight.
The Stars got the last laugh, though, and their 85 points ensures that they’ll remain atop the Pacific Division no matter what happens in the big San Jose-Los Angeles battle (currently 1-1 with 3:27 left in the first period, airing on NBC Sports Network).This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Benn banged up?
The only big worry – beyond those tough Pacific teams that are still not that far behind – is the health of crucial star Benn. The big forward made a shootout attempt and generally kept coming back after scary hits, but was also seen shaken up in the Stars’ tunnel during the game. We’ll have to wait and see about a development that could hurt a whole lot more than allowing the Coyotes a charity point.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 27
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 13
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54