Mar 20, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
According to TVA Sport analyst and former Montreal defenseman Patrice Brisebois, the Canadiens may soon be parting ways with center Scott Gomez.
On Monday night, Brisebois reported (see video here — helps if you speak French) that Gomez informed acquaintances he’s expecting the Habs to buy out the remainder of his deal at season’s end.
Given that Gomez 1) has two years left with an annual cap hit of $7.36 million and 2) is over the age of 26, Montreal would assume his cap hit over a period of four years (twice the remaining length of the contract.) You can see the full workup here.
If the buyout does indeed happen, it’ll be a rather fitting end to one of the most disastrous acquisitions in Canadiens history. Not only did Montreal take on one of the league’s most bloated contracts — they paid a pretty price in doing so, giving up the likes of Pavel Valentenko, Chris Higgins and Ryan McDonagh.
Since coming to Montreal in 2009 Gomez has appeared in 196 games, scoring just 21 goals while posting a minus-23 rating.
Note: Eric Engels of CTV Montreal brings up a salient point — the Canadiens might be hoping to buy Gomez out, without penalty, if there’s a window of opportunity like there was with the last CBA (see: compliance buyouts).
Or, they could hope the NHL adopts the NBA’s amnesty clause and just get rid of him that way.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)