Mar 20, 2012, 9:04 PM EDT
John Tortorella wasn’t thrilled with the way last night’s New Jersey Devils-New York Rangers game began – with three fights on the opening faceoff – and he’s not alone.
Still, plenty of people have been vocal about their “approval,” as you can see in this article by Bill Beacon of The Canadian Press. From tougher guys like Montreal Canadiens player Ryan White to high-scoring New York Islanders forward John Tavares, plenty of people have shared their pleasure with the fights.
NBC’s own Keith Jones has spoken out against “staged” squabbles before, but the former Philadelphia Flyer couldn’t contain his glee for the unusual spectacle:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It didn’t just entertain and excite hockey people, though, as professional wrestler (Bill) Goldberg hyped up the battle in a Tweet. (Who knows how excited he would have gotten if someone was “speared” during the fights.)
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 3
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)