Mar 20, 2012, 9:04 PM EDT
John Tortorella wasn’t thrilled with the way last night’s New Jersey Devils-New York Rangers game began – with three fights on the opening faceoff – and he’s not alone.
Still, plenty of people have been vocal about their “approval,” as you can see in this article by Bill Beacon of The Canadian Press. From tougher guys like Montreal Canadiens player Ryan White to high-scoring New York Islanders forward John Tavares, plenty of people have shared their pleasure with the fights.
NBC’s own Keith Jones has spoken out against “staged” squabbles before, but the former Philadelphia Flyer couldn’t contain his glee for the unusual spectacle:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It didn’t just entertain and excite hockey people, though, as professional wrestler (Bill) Goldberg hyped up the battle in a Tweet. (Who knows how excited he would have gotten if someone was “speared” during the fights.)
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)