Mar 20, 2012, 9:04 PM EDT
John Tortorella wasn’t thrilled with the way last night’s New Jersey Devils-New York Rangers game began – with three fights on the opening faceoff – and he’s not alone.
Still, plenty of people have been vocal about their “approval,” as you can see in this article by Bill Beacon of The Canadian Press. From tougher guys like Montreal Canadiens player Ryan White to high-scoring New York Islanders forward John Tavares, plenty of people have shared their pleasure with the fights.
NBC’s own Keith Jones has spoken out against “staged” squabbles before, but the former Philadelphia Flyer couldn’t contain his glee for the unusual spectacle:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
It didn’t just entertain and excite hockey people, though, as professional wrestler (Bill) Goldberg hyped up the battle in a Tweet. (Who knows how excited he would have gotten if someone was “speared” during the fights.)
- Report: Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 18
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 11
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 25
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)