Mar 20, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
Last night’s Devils-Rangers game that kicked off with a line brawl glued eyes to the TVs and fired up the outrage machine across the hockey landscape. The guy most angry last night, however, was Devils coach Peter DeBoer.
Rangers coach John Tortorella was seen barking at DeBoer before the drop of the puck over the line he put out to start the game and DeBoer didn’t care very much for that at all. Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice gets the rant from DeBoer over fight night at the Garden.
“I guess in John’s world you can come into our building and start your tough guys, but we can’t do the same in here,” DeBoer said. “He’s either got short-term memory loss or he’s a hypocrite. So it’s one of the other.”
What he’s referring to is the Devils-Rangers game in New Jersey on December 20 that saw an eerily similar starting five that the Rangers put out to start last night’s game to counter the Devils’ big boy unit.
Last night the Devils put out a line of Eric Boulton, Ryan Carter, and Cam Janssen to start the game, something that Tortorella didn’t much care for. He countered by sending out Mike Rupp, Brandon Prust, and Brandon Dubinsky. On the opening faceoff, Dubinsky stepped out and let tough guy defenseman Stu Bickel take his place. Giddy up!
For what it’s worth, Tortorella wouldn’t bite on commenting on last night’s fisticuffs or on what DeBoer had to say.
If you missed the three-way fight last night, check it out here.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)