Mar 20, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Speculation that former Montreal goalie great Patrick Roy could one day coach the Canadiens grew more intense today.
Google translated from French to English:
I suggests you enjoy every moment you spend together with your coach during these exciting weeks of hard work. Because it will likely be the last.
In the small world of hockey, whispering for some time that Patrick Roy has already reached an agreement with [owner, president and CEO] Molson for next season and that once the season ends Remparts, his appointment as head coach of Canada will be confirmed.
And yes, that should be the head coach of the Canadiens, not Canada. The head coach of Canada is the Queen. Has a whistle, whiteboard and everything.
According to the Globe, Leclerc “has said in follow-up interviews that he has at least two reliable sources saying Roy will coach the Habs next year.”
Roy quickly shot down the report. His comments via le Journal de Québec (Google translated):
“When I heard that it comes from a concrete source, it shows that the journalistic world is covered with ridiculous sometimes.
“It makes me laugh and I’m flattered that my name is circulating, but at the end of the day, it’s Mr. Molson, who will make decisions about who is going to be his coach and general manager. Is satisfied with [GM] Pierre Gauthier, he’ll keep it, and it’s the same with [caoch] Randy Cunneyworth. “
Whether the report is true or just the media covering the world with ridiculous, expect to hear Roy’s name a lot more as Montreal’s miserable season draws to a merciful end.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)