Mar 20, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Speculation that former Montreal goalie great Patrick Roy could one day coach the Canadiens grew more intense today.
Google translated from French to English:
I suggests you enjoy every moment you spend together with your coach during these exciting weeks of hard work. Because it will likely be the last.
In the small world of hockey, whispering for some time that Patrick Roy has already reached an agreement with [owner, president and CEO] Molson for next season and that once the season ends Remparts, his appointment as head coach of Canada will be confirmed.
And yes, that should be the head coach of the Canadiens, not Canada. The head coach of Canada is the Queen. Has a whistle, whiteboard and everything.
According to the Globe, Leclerc “has said in follow-up interviews that he has at least two reliable sources saying Roy will coach the Habs next year.”
Roy quickly shot down the report. His comments via le Journal de Québec (Google translated):
“When I heard that it comes from a concrete source, it shows that the journalistic world is covered with ridiculous sometimes.
“It makes me laugh and I’m flattered that my name is circulating, but at the end of the day, it’s Mr. Molson, who will make decisions about who is going to be his coach and general manager. Is satisfied with [GM] Pierre Gauthier, he’ll keep it, and it’s the same with [caoch] Randy Cunneyworth. “
Whether the report is true or just the media covering the world with ridiculous, expect to hear Roy’s name a lot more as Montreal’s miserable season draws to a merciful end.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 14
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)