Mar 20, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Speculation that former Montreal goalie great Patrick Roy could one day coach the Canadiens grew more intense today.
Google translated from French to English:
I suggests you enjoy every moment you spend together with your coach during these exciting weeks of hard work. Because it will likely be the last.
In the small world of hockey, whispering for some time that Patrick Roy has already reached an agreement with [owner, president and CEO] Molson for next season and that once the season ends Remparts, his appointment as head coach of Canada will be confirmed.
And yes, that should be the head coach of the Canadiens, not Canada. The head coach of Canada is the Queen. Has a whistle, whiteboard and everything.
According to the Globe, Leclerc “has said in follow-up interviews that he has at least two reliable sources saying Roy will coach the Habs next year.”
Roy quickly shot down the report. His comments via le Journal de Québec (Google translated):
“When I heard that it comes from a concrete source, it shows that the journalistic world is covered with ridiculous sometimes.
“It makes me laugh and I’m flattered that my name is circulating, but at the end of the day, it’s Mr. Molson, who will make decisions about who is going to be his coach and general manager. Is satisfied with [GM] Pierre Gauthier, he’ll keep it, and it’s the same with [caoch] Randy Cunneyworth. “
Whether the report is true or just the media covering the world with ridiculous, expect to hear Roy’s name a lot more as Montreal’s miserable season draws to a merciful end.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)