Mar 20, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Speculation that former Montreal goalie great Patrick Roy could one day coach the Canadiens grew more intense today.
Google translated from French to English:
I suggests you enjoy every moment you spend together with your coach during these exciting weeks of hard work. Because it will likely be the last.
In the small world of hockey, whispering for some time that Patrick Roy has already reached an agreement with [owner, president and CEO] Molson for next season and that once the season ends Remparts, his appointment as head coach of Canada will be confirmed.
And yes, that should be the head coach of the Canadiens, not Canada. The head coach of Canada is the Queen. Has a whistle, whiteboard and everything.
According to the Globe, Leclerc “has said in follow-up interviews that he has at least two reliable sources saying Roy will coach the Habs next year.”
Roy quickly shot down the report. His comments via le Journal de Québec (Google translated):
“When I heard that it comes from a concrete source, it shows that the journalistic world is covered with ridiculous sometimes.
“It makes me laugh and I’m flattered that my name is circulating, but at the end of the day, it’s Mr. Molson, who will make decisions about who is going to be his coach and general manager. Is satisfied with [GM] Pierre Gauthier, he’ll keep it, and it’s the same with [caoch] Randy Cunneyworth. “
Whether the report is true or just the media covering the world with ridiculous, expect to hear Roy’s name a lot more as Montreal’s miserable season draws to a merciful end.
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 0
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 16
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 54
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 87
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (88)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games