Mar 20, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Red Wings have had enough problems of late over the last month but after Jimmy Howard returned from his groin injury a couple weeks ago, they felt they could at least relax about matters in goal.
That is until today when Ansar Khan of Mlive.com reported that Howard’s groin is acting up again and that the team has put Ty Conklin on re-entry waivers. Khan reports from Wings GM Ken Holland that Howard’s injury is day-to-day and that it isn’t serious. If Conklin clears waivers, he will join the team in New York where they’ll take on the Rangers tomorrow night (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN).
The Wings were already dealing with Joey MacDonald being bothered by a bad back and have Jordan Pearce up in place of him already. With Conklin on the way back to the team and Howard out for any amount of time, it’s up to Conklin to try and keep the Red Wings in fourth place in the Western Conference. That’s an unenviable task for anyone.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)