Mar 20, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
Ever since Dale Hunter took over as coach of the Washington Capitals, the scrutiny he’s been under has been intense. Taking over for a popular coach isn’t easy and not being all that talkative with your players won’t help you earn friends.
The tweaks Hunter has made to the Capitals lineup of late, subbing in Jeff Halpern for Joel Ward and Roman Hamrlik for Dmitry Orlov last night, helped the Caps stay in eighth place in the East and beat the always menacing Red Wings.
As CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears it from Hunter, his changes are ones that just made sense.
“It’s hard (scratching Ward),” Hunter said. “He’s a good guy, but we thought we would have more faceoff help against (Detroit’s Pavel) Datsyuk and that’s why went with Halpy.”
Those little tweaks combined with the stellar play of late from Alex Ovechkin have helped make Hunter look a lot smarter of late. Hunter won’t get a break from the fans and media alike unless he gets the Caps into the postseason, but seeing the team seemingly turn the corner, finally, might mean things are getting right in Washington.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 33
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 6
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)