Mar 20, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
Ever since Dale Hunter took over as coach of the Washington Capitals, the scrutiny he’s been under has been intense. Taking over for a popular coach isn’t easy and not being all that talkative with your players won’t help you earn friends.
The tweaks Hunter has made to the Capitals lineup of late, subbing in Jeff Halpern for Joel Ward and Roman Hamrlik for Dmitry Orlov last night, helped the Caps stay in eighth place in the East and beat the always menacing Red Wings.
As CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears it from Hunter, his changes are ones that just made sense.
“It’s hard (scratching Ward),” Hunter said. “He’s a good guy, but we thought we would have more faceoff help against (Detroit’s Pavel) Datsyuk and that’s why went with Halpy.”
Those little tweaks combined with the stellar play of late from Alex Ovechkin have helped make Hunter look a lot smarter of late. Hunter won’t get a break from the fans and media alike unless he gets the Caps into the postseason, but seeing the team seemingly turn the corner, finally, might mean things are getting right in Washington.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)