Mar 20, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
Ever since Dale Hunter took over as coach of the Washington Capitals, the scrutiny he’s been under has been intense. Taking over for a popular coach isn’t easy and not being all that talkative with your players won’t help you earn friends.
The tweaks Hunter has made to the Capitals lineup of late, subbing in Jeff Halpern for Joel Ward and Roman Hamrlik for Dmitry Orlov last night, helped the Caps stay in eighth place in the East and beat the always menacing Red Wings.
As CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears it from Hunter, his changes are ones that just made sense.
“It’s hard (scratching Ward),” Hunter said. “He’s a good guy, but we thought we would have more faceoff help against (Detroit’s Pavel) Datsyuk and that’s why went with Halpy.”
Those little tweaks combined with the stellar play of late from Alex Ovechkin have helped make Hunter look a lot smarter of late. Hunter won’t get a break from the fans and media alike unless he gets the Caps into the postseason, but seeing the team seemingly turn the corner, finally, might mean things are getting right in Washington.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)