Mar 20, 2012, 5:13 PM EST
Luongo’s allowed 16 goals in his last four starts, all Vancouver losses, while registering a lowly save percentage of .846.
Schneider, meanwhile, had another strong outing last night in Minnesota, despite the Canucks falling 2-0 to the Wild. The 26-year-old stopped 32 of 33 shots (there was an empty-netter), after which coach Alain Vigneault called Schneider “our best player.”
Granted, Vigneault didn’t have a long list to choose from. (Luongo might’ve been their second-best player.) But when newspapers are publishing articles called “Cory Schneider can’t carry Canucks alone,” you know he’s playing well.
Add the United Center – Luongo’s original house of horrors, since replaced by TD Garden – to the equation and his performance will fall under an even larger microscope than usual.
Now consider the microscope they normally use in Vancouver can find a freckle on a flea (alliteration!), and tomorrow’s game should intensify the great Canucks goalie debate regardless of the outcome.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)